AN ‘INTOXICATED’ man armed with a hammer ‘banging on doors looking for someone’ in Bridport town centre has been sentenced.

As previously reported, Adrian Sweet, 49, was reported to police after he was seen outside a property on South Street, Bridport at 8.45pm on Wednesday, October 14, 2020.

At an earlier court appearance, Andrew Newman, prosecuting told Weymouth Magistrates Court how Sweet wielded a lump hammer inside a plastic bag and was also in possession of a black handled knife.

He said: “There was a phone call to the police that he was banging on doors looking for someone. He was quite intoxicated and topless.”

Referring to a police officer’s statement, Mr Newman said: “I noticed a man holding an unknown object covered with white plastic bag and I shouted 'get back' – we took the object and discovered it was a lump hammer.

Dorset Echo: Sweet outside Weymouth Magistrates' Court at a previous hearingSweet outside Weymouth Magistrates' Court at a previous hearing

“Whilst he was being searched, a black knife was found. He was aggravated and began to swear and hadn’t slept for a number of days hence his erratic state.

“He also said he had something to drink.”

Sweet, now of Castle Road, Portland, pleaded guilty to possession of an offensive weapon in a public place as well as possess a knife in a public place at a previous court appearance in March.

Mitigating, Ian Brazier, previously told the court how Sweet was remorseful and has engaged with support and worked with the Lantern Trust to provide him accommodation as well as find him employment.

He explained that Sweet had ‘family difficulties’ over the years and had a ‘long history’ of mental health issues and struggles with ADHD.

Dorset Echo: Adrian Sweet was arrested by police on South Street, Bridport after being caught with a hammer and knife. Picture: Google/Dorset Echo

Mr Brazier said: “He is a man who has been quite ill.

“At the time of this offence, he was homeless and in a low state.

“He doesn’t remember much about the incident, he was drinking but had something on his mind and was in a confused state.

“He has since resolved the issue at hand.”

Sweet was issued with a 12-month community order and must undertake Rehabilitation Activity Requirement for up to 25 days. He was also ordered to pay a £75 fine and £95 victim surcharge.

The hammer and knife were ordered to be destroyed.