BRIAN Stock lavished praise on goalkeeper Harrison Bruton’s display as Weymouth’s under-23s beat rivals Dorchester Town under-23s 2-1.

Bruton pulled off a number of excellent saves to keep the Magpies at bay, while fellow first-team squad member Dan Neild’s free-kick led to the opening goal in the sixth minute.

Stock, who took the Terras’ young guns along with manager Andy Peart, also spoke of how his competitive nature surpassed the overall aim of developing the club’s young players.

He told Echosport: “I took the team along with Andy so I was in the changing room before, after and during giving them advice.

“I thought Dan, although he had a knock to his ankle, did extremely well and worked hard.

“Quite a lot of the play went through him but his work rate was excellent.

READ MORE: Weymouth v Notts County - match preview

“A special mention to Harrison, who I thought was excellent on the night and made some fantastic saves.

“The actual game became a game I wanted to win. It’s very strange that I feel that in an under-23 game because it’s all about development and looking at ways to improve the players.

“So, really good endeavour, attitude and application. Sometimes with those games it’s not really evident but (Neild and Bruton) really stood out for me.”

While Stock was not tempted to give extra game time to more first-teamers, he indicated the tactic could be used later this season.

He said: “It’s been really beneficial. The likes of Josh Leslie-Smith and Ben Morgan coming into the under-23s, playing 90 minutes, I really do feel it gives them a platform.

“They can come in and play. Although they did start the season, they can when called upon take the opportunity.

“When you look at their (first-team) performances, they’re going to be hard to knock out of the team.

“We need to make sure we utilise the 23s at the right time. This week, none of the squad was in need of extra minutes.

“In particular, Ben Thomson, I wasn’t prepared to put him into an under-23s game at this moment in time due to the fact it was on a 3G.”