DORCHESTER succumbed 31-10 to a strong Swindon College Old Boys side in Tribute Southern Counties South.

In poor conditions, featuring heavy prolonged rain, Dorchester travelled with eight changes from last week’s team.

The match was always going to be a big ask at one of the better sides in the division and, although well beaten in the end, Dorchester never gave up and defended bravely throughout.

After conceding two early penalties, the county town outfit began to find some rhythm and following an extended period of pressure Freddie Charles touched down for the opening try.

The hosts hit back immediately with a converted try of their own, scored and converted by their outstanding full-back. Half-time arrived after Dorchester conceded a third penalty goal, going in 16-5 down.

READ MORE: Dorchester 0-12 Swindon - match report

The second half was one of the hosts kicking to the opposition and attacking with Dorchester defending for long periods.

As Dorchester’s injury list increased and fatigue set in, Old Boys added three more unconverted tries to move 31-5 up.

Dorchester did have the satisfaction of the final score of the day as James McKendry won the race to the touchdown following his own chip through the home defence.

First team skipper James Newsam said: “This was a tough away game, and we already had a depleted squad, so I am thankful to everyone who stepped up to play the game.

“Liam Moss came in after being unwell all week along with both James and coach Josh Ovey returning from injury early to ensure we had a squad to allow the game to go ahead.

“I was delighted for Macca as he got a score for his great efforts.”

Dorchester’s A XV took on Christchurch at Surcouf Park in dreadful conditions in a Tribute Dorset & Wilts Two South contest. The opposition fielded a strong team as expected and Dorchester responded well with a very strong pack.

The home side dominated in the forwards and at the set-piece scrum, although the conditions did not help the game flow for the backs.

Dorchester led at half-time with two tries by Jamie Morgan and Adam Makepeace. This was Makepeace’s first league game after coming back from long-term injury.

Christchurch made a number of changes at half-time and showed a great strength of character to fight back in front of a large, if not damp, set of travelling supporters.

Team boss Dave Clarke remarked that it was a tense game towards the end with the opposition fighting back to within one score, although Morgan did get bundled into touch at the close to prevent the home team grabbing a bonus point.

Ollie Wills was Dorchester’s man of the match in the 21-16 win.