A ‘CONFUSED and distressed’ woman who fled from her partner after drinking alcohol crashed into a lamp post, a court heard.

Marie Sherwood, aged 55, left her boyfriend’s home in Weymouth after he allegedly assaulted her on Friday, September 17.

Sherwood had previously consumed alcohol before she drove away in her blue Ford Focus, but was reported to the police due to her erratic driving.

Prosecuting, Siobhan Oxley, told Weymouth Magistrates’ Court how Sherwood ‘swerved’ on the Swannery Bridge and crashed into a lamp post.

She said: “Police were called after receiving reports near Chafeys Roundabout about a drink driver driving towards Swannery Bridge.

Dorset Echo: Weymouth Magistrates CourtWeymouth Magistrates Court

“They approached Swannery Bridge and they saw the blue Ford swerving on the road and collided with a lamp post.

“She was the only person in the vehicle. When police officers spoke to her, she provided a roadside test and failed.

“She was then taken to Weymouth custody and provided two samples for analysis.”

Sherwood was breathalysed at the police station and gave a reading over the legal limit with an alcohol level of 98 microgrammes per 100ml of breath. The legal limit is 35 mcg.

A photo seen by the court showed the Ford Focus had crashed head-on into the post, with damage to the front bumper and bonnet.

Sherwood, of Court Close in Bridport, pleaded guilty to driving a motor vehicle above the drink-drive limit.

Mitigating, Des Reynolds, told the court that a ‘remorseful’ Sherwood was in a ‘confused and distressed’ state after she fled the home of an abusive boyfriend.

Mr Reynolds explained that she had been in a two-year relationship with an abusive man who was also an alcoholic, which affected her mentally.

Mr Reynolds said: “She was staying at her partner’s address on the day (of the offence). He assaulted her, and a couple of hours later, she was in a very distressed and upset state.

“She had been drinking and wanted to drive back to her home in Bridport. She clearly wasn’t thinking right, she saw the police and she panicked and hit the lamp post.”

Magistrates adjourned the sentencing until Thursday, November 18 for a pre-sentence report to be carried out. Sherwood was issued an interim driving ban.