WEYMOUTH & Portland fell to their second straight Tribute Dorset & Wilts One South defeat with a 29-23 reverse at the hands of North Dorset.

The Seahorses lost their first game at Monmouth Avenue this season, coming after a 35-5 loss at leaders Blandford last time out.

While the Blandford display was littered with errors, Rich Bament’s men did improve in this encounter – although a tendency to concede penalties cost them dearly.

The hosts were continually penalised for high tackles while some choice words to the officials did not help their cause.

Eventually, the yellow card came out for Matt Savage on a totting-up basis as the referee cautioned one too many team misdemeanours.

READ MORE: Blandford 35-5 Weymouth & Portland - match report

Weymouth & Portland lost their grip on a game they had led 15-0, Will Quick scampering down the blindside from a five-metre scrum.

Rory Legg then reacted quickest to a chip and chase which bounced back off the corner flag for the hosts’ second try.

Ryan Lewendon added one conversion and a penalty to give the Seahorses a three-score lead.

However, North Dorset hit back with two tries from rolling mauls as Jake Canning and Will Willoughby scored.

Savage was then sin-binned at 15-12 and Luke Biggs, barrelled over by the visiting pack, made it 17-15 at half-time with his side’s third try.

Adam Trevis notched North Dorset’s fourth and fifth scores either side of a Lewendon penalty as the Slaughtergate outfit went 29-18 ahead.

Then came Weymouth & Portland’s best move of the game, flowing from the forwards to the backs, enabling Jacob Cummings to crash over in the far corner.

Trailing by just six points, the Seahorses had a golden chance in the final minute to use an overlap, only to kick possession away and waste the opportunity – with it coming defeat.

Speaking to Echosport, Bament said: “We didn’t do ourselves any favours, we got on the wrong side of the referee too many times.

“We got ourselves in good field positions but then fell foul with the laws of the game.

“Tackling was an issue for us. We were slipping up high, which we were getting done for. It resulted in a team yellow card for Matt.

“We started off well, went into a 15-0 lead and they worked their way back into it with their forwards and driving mauls.

“It was a 100 per cent improvement on the previous week, a lot of endeavour. We had chances but didn’t take them – nothing that can’t be fixed on the training pitch.”

Bament’s troops now turn their attentions to Swanage & Wareham Seconds on Saturday.

The Seahorses’ coach added: “All I’ve been told is to expect a lot of running. They’ve got a lot of Fijians from the Army barracks.

“It will be a lovely spectacle for me to stand there and watch! They do like to run it quite expansive.

“Physical and lung-bursting I reckon it’s going to be. We’re a fit bunch of guys so I’m sure we can live with it. But then when we get the ball we can show what we can do as well.”

Asked how he would combat the Swans’ running game, Bament said: “First thing is do not kick a random ball up in the air.

“Be controlled and be safe, do not give them a chance, because they will be gone. But, saying that, our backs are clicking into gear now.”

Dan Hayne (work) is Weymouth & Portland’s only new absentee.