Back on Tuesday, June 27, we published two photos involving cars taken from the archive of former Echo photographer Harry Green.

As you can see, they showed a car being pulled out of the water and a badly damaged car at a garage.

Thanks to reader Peter Minter of Wyke Regis, we can solve the mystery of the car pulled out of Weymouth harbour in 1973.

He writes: “Hopefully I can solve the riddle of the dark blue, Rover P5 in the photograph, being recovered from the harbour in 1973.

“At the time my family were living at Nothe steps nearby and I witnessed the car being hauled out of the harbour, outside the Lifeboat Station.

“I was told the car rolled backwards from the RYA boat yard next to the Lifeboat Station, through the gate, narrowly missing holidaymakers and fell into the harbour after handbrake failure as I understand, the car was empty thankfully.”

Mr Minter says he hopes the extra information will help Echo reader James Brown, who wondered whether he had a family connection to the incident and wanted to know if it might have been his grandfather’s boat.

“If you look in the background, two Channel Island ferries can be seen on the other side of the harbour,” he said.

The picture of the badly damaged car in the garage appears to be a much graver affair.

Thank you to the reader who rang in with the information that it was a fatal incident from 1964.

And thank you to Chris Waight, who wrote in in the hope of throwing some more light on the picture.

He said: “I am almost certain that the picture was in what was then the main workshop of Tilleys Garage in Victoria Street, Weymouth.

“This later became a branch of Wadham Stringer for some years before being demolished and the area redeveloped for housing.

“The car is certainly an MGA but the details of how it became so badly damaged I cannot recall.

“At that time I was employed by Tilleys as works receptionist and am in the picture on the extreme right.

“Of the other four men in the photo, who were either motor engineers or apprentices, from left to right, I believe I can put names to all but the second one, as Gordon Mears, Martin Rolls, and Terry Hawden.

“At that time, Gordon Mears was the most experienced of the group and he was the person who would usually have dealt with the retrieval of broken down and damaged vehicles.

“If my recollection is correct, that vehicle had only just been recovered, from what was obviously a fairly serious incident.

“With the passing of 60 or so years since then, any further memories of that incident have escaped me but I trust this throws at least some further light on your interesting article.”