A chimney has caught fire at a property in Puddletown, sparking an emergency response.

A crew from Dorchester Fire Station responded to the fire which occurred on Athelhampton Road yesterday, Friday, December 1, at around 4.35pm.

The homeowner was able to put the fire out before firefighters arrived.

The crew inspected the chimney using a thermal imaging camera.

A spokesperson for Dorchester Fire Station said: "At 4.35pm a crew from Dorchester responded to reports of a chimney fire.

"On arrival, the crew was met by the homeowner who had managed to put the fire out. The crew inspected the chimney with a thermal imaging camera.

"Now that the weather is cold, please make sure your chimneys are clear by getting them swept."