Several fire crews called to suspected thatch roof fire near Blandford.

Multiple fire crews were alerted to what was believed to be a thatched roof on fire in the village of Okeford Fitzpaine just before 6pm on Friday, December 16.

When crews arrived on the scene they discovered the fire was contained within the chimney and stood down several crews whilst the chimney fire was dealt with.

A spokesperson for Dorset and Wiltshire Fire Service said:  "At approximately 5.45pm numerous crews from Dorset and Wiltshire attended a suspected thatch fire.

"This luckily was a false alarm. However, a fire was located in the chimney which was extinguished by the crews using chimney rods, a thermal image camera and checked the roof was made safe.

"Thank you to Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service for mobilising their aerial ladder platform to the incident as well as their water carrier from Yeovil Fire Station."

The fire service also offered some advice for people using chimneys and to make sure they are properly serviced.

They added: "A reminder that it is important to have your chimney swept by a reputable company who can certify your chimney is clean before you use it to prevent incidents like this occurring."