CHERRIES’ Premier League match against Luton Town was abandoned after Tom Lockyer suffered a cardiac arrest.

Just over an hour into the contest at Vitality Stadium, Hatters captain Lockyer went down off the ball.

Hatters boss Rob Edwards hurriedly called for medics to rush over to the far side to treat the 29-year-old, before running across the pitch himself as play stopped.

Edwards ushered both sets of players away from the incident as treatment took place.

He then called his players into a huddle near the dugouts.

Dorset Echo:

Both teams then returned to the dressing rooms, before Wales international Lockyer was eventually carried off the field, surrounded by around 10 medical professionals. He was treated for around 10 minutes on the pitch.

The score when the game was stopped was 1-1, Dominic Solanke having just equalised an early Elijah Adebayo effort.

At 4.50pm, an announcement was made that the game had been abandoned.

Posting on X later, Luton’s said: “We all hope and pray for our leader and captain Tom Lockyer, who is thankfully responsive and has been taken to hospital.

“We don’t know the full extent of what happened and what the next steps are at this stage, but we thank Bournemouth and the medical staff on both sides for their immediate response, which was absolutely amazing.

“We are sorry to all supporters present that players from both sides were in no state of mind to continue with the game after seeing their much-loved team-mate and friend taken off like that, and staff could not carry on with managing the game in such circumstances having had to deal with the situation.

“We thank everyone for the wonderful applause and singing of Locks’ name inside the stadium at such a difficult time.

“Now is the time for all of our players, staff and supporters to come together as we always do and give our love and support to Tom and his family.

“Our thoughts are with him and them all.”

A later statement from Luton read:  "Our medical staff have confirmed that the Hatters captain suffered cardiac arrest on the pitch, but was responsive by the time he was taken off on the stretcher.

"He received further treatment inside the stadium, for which we once again thank the medical teams from both sides.

"Tom was transferred to hospital, where we can reassure supporters that he is stable and currently undergoing further tests with his family at his bedside.

"We would like to thank everyone for their support, concern and loving messages for Locks."