Fire crews have treated a person for burns after a fire started at their property in west Dorset.

Bridport Fire Station received a call on Sunday, January 7 about an incident at a flat on Church Street in Puncknowle. Crews were able to put out the fire after being partly extinguished by a member of the public. 

The resident of the property was also treated for smoke inhalation by the crews in attendance before being taken to hospital by family members.

A spokesperson for Bridport Fire Station said: "Two crews from Bridport attended a property in Church Street, Puncknowle at 5.52pm for a fire in a ground floor flat.

"Crews used one hose reel jet, two breathing apparatus wearers, a thermal imaging camera and a positive pressure ventilation fan to extinguish the fire which had already been partly extinguished by members of the public.

"The fire started accidentally after hot coals from a fire ignited a rug."

"Coal from the fire had fallen onto the floor, but a neighbour had used a fire extinguisher to prevent the flames from spreading.

"The resident was treated by crews for small burns and smoke inhalation before they were transported by family members to hospital."