A dramatic video has caught the moment three people and their dogs had to be rescued by helicopter after getting cut off by the tide.

Emergency services scrambled to Black Ven, Charmouth yesterday (Sunday, January 21), at 1.30pm after three people, including one with an injured leg, were cut off by the tide whilst walking their dogs.

The trio were stuck on the rocks and had to be airlifted to safety by a coastguard helicopter, before being left in the care of the South Western Ambulance service.

Dorset Echo: A shot of the rescueA shot of the rescue (Image: Lyme Regis Coastguard)

Coastguard crews from West Bay and Lyme Regis were also in attendance, as well as the RNLI Lyme Regis inshore lifeboat.

A spokesperson for HM Coastguard said: “Three people including one with an injured leg were recovered after a report of being cut off by the tide on rocks at Black Ven, Charmouth, on January 21.

“The alarm was raised at about 1.30pm. Lyme Regis and West Bay Coastguard Rescue Teams were sent, along with the RNLI's Lyme Regis inshore lifeboat.

“The HM Coastguard search and rescue helicopter was sent from St Athan and airlifted the three people to safety. They were passed into the care of the South Western Ambulance Service.

“Three people had to be rescued by helicopter after being cut off by the tide.”

A spokesperson for Lyme Regis Coastguard said: "We were tasked with West Bay Coastguard Rescue Team and Lyme Regis Lifeboat to three people cut off by the tide, one with a leg injury at Charmouth.

"The casualties were stabilised from sinking into mud. With Storm Isha arriving, all three people and three dogs were winched to safety."

The dramatic incident was caught on video which you can watch below:

Credit: Richard Lisney

A spokesperson for the South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust (SWASFT) said: “We were called at 1:06pm on Sunday, January 21, to an incident in Charmouth.

"We sent one double-crewed ambulance and conveyed one patient by land ambulance to Royal Devon and Exeter Wonford Hospital.”