A landlady has said she feels "very lucky" a fire in her pub didn't cause cause permanent damage.

Emma Thorpe, landlady of The Three Horseshoes Inn in Powerstock, was shocked to see the pub fill up with excess smoke when its chimney caught on fire.

She had just lit a fire and was starting to have tea when the room began to fill with smoke, setting off the fire alarm.

Ms Thorpe managed to put the fire out and opened all the doors in the room.

Despite this, there was still smoke belching into the room so she called the fire brigade. 

Three fire crews from Bridport, Beaminster and a water carrier from Yeovil rushed to the blaze, which happened at around 5.45pm on Tuesday afternoon. 

Ms Thorpe says she feels "very lucky" as no permanent or visible damage to the building was caused by the fire. 

"It looked worse than it was with three fire engines outside.

"It's a commercial building in a rural area that's why there were so many fire engines.

"But we're very lucky there's been no damage to the building or anything.

"We're just waiting for an expert to come and check the chimney over but there was no visible or permanent damage and nobody was hurt."

A spokesperson for Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue said: "Our crews attended reports of a fire in the hearth which had been extinguished by occupant but was still smoking and filling the room with smoke.

"When crews arrived, they made quick work in using their chimney kit to make sure the fire was completely extinguished."

A spokesperson for Bridport Fire Station added: "Both pumps mobilised to a chimney fire in Powerstock along with Beaminster Fire Station and a water carrier from Yeovil Fire Station.

"Crews used a chimney kit, thermal imaging camera and small tools to extinguish the fire."

Bridport Fire Station has also shared the following advice.

Chimneys should be swept:

At least once a year when using smokeless fuels

At least once a year when using bituminous coal

Every three months when burning wood

Once a year when using oil

Once a year when using gas

The following safety advice should always be followed when lighting an open fire or woodburning stove:

Don’t use flammable liquids such as petrol or paraffin to light your fire.

Don’t burn excessive amounts of paper or rubbish.

Don’t overload the fire with fuel.

When the fire is alight, check the loft space occasionally to make sure there is no smoke leaking from cracks, defective brickwork or mortar joints.

For more information on chimney safety follow the link: https://www.dwfire.org.uk/safety/safety-at-home/causes-of-fires/chimney-safety/