Residents in Dorset are being warned of the dangers of cigarettes causing fires in their homes.

The warning came as part of a national health campaign to try and get people to stop smoking on No Smoking Day, which was on Wednesday March 13.

Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue say that smoking is  one of the highest fire risks to people at home, with one in three accidental fire deaths caused by smoking.

A fire service spokesperson said: "Smoking is one of the highest fire risks – in fact, fires started by smoking materials account for one third of all accidental fire deaths.

"The best way of protecting yourself and others in your home from this risk is to give up smoking altogether; failing that, only ever smoke outside."

For anyone looking to quit smoking  visit for advice and support