A wooden barrier has been put in place to prevent a recent 'influx of walkers' from travelling on a coastal path with a history of landslips.

The barrier has been installed, together with a sign, at the Underbarn Walk at Castle Cove in Wyke Regis which experienced a landslip earlier this month.

The Underbarn, a picturesque path from Bincleaves Green to Castle Cove Beach, was closed by the local authority in 2001 due to safety concerns following landslips and fell into a state of disrepair.

Dorset Echo: The entrance to the walk prior to the barrierThe entrance to the walk prior to the barrier (Image: Cristiano Magaglio)

Following a sustained community campaign, Dorset Council said it was safe to reopen and had begun the legal process to try and restore the popular route.

However, a recent landslip put a wrench in plans to open the path anytime soon, and following a 'recent influx' of people trying to walk the path - ignoring signs and even tearing them down -  Dorset Council has implemented a solid wooden barrier completely blocking access from Castle Cove entrance.

Read more: Landowner says Underbarn Walk too dangerous to re-open

Read more: Landslip on Underbarn Walk following resident's warning

Dorset Echo: The wooden barrier on the pathThe wooden barrier on the path (Image: Cristiano Magaglio)

A spokesperson for Dorset Council said: "We’re having to redisplay the closure notices as the Underbarn footpath has seen an influx in people attempting to walk it recently, as well as several instances of the laminated notices being removed by persons unknown.

"We have also installed wooden barriers with signs made from stronger material, which should remain in place if the laminates are discarded. We will continue to renew the site signage as necessary to keep the public informed."

There was some confusion caused by the initial laminate sign which was littered with errors announcing the 'pertinent closure' of the path. This sign has now been replaced.

Cllr Clare Sutton remains optimistic that the path can be re-opened. She said: "I have been in touch with the Greenspace team, who tell me that they have identified some movement along the route which requires further assessment. For this reason, they are putting in some fencing to deter use whilst this takes place.

"They have also acknowledged that the sign is incorrect and have replaced it. The fact that we’ve had the wettest February in over a hundred years has made this particularly challenging, but I remain optimistic that any issues identified can be addressed."

Read more: Weymouth's wettest February on record, and it's not done