A man who was injured after slipping in the mud had to be airlifted to hospital.

Emergency services were called at around 1.45pm yesterday after a man sustained a lower leg injury at Ringstead.

An off-duty paramedic who was passing by treated the man at the scene. 

Upon arrival, coastguard crews and the ambulance team worked to stabilise the casualty before taking him on a stretcher to an area where the coastguard helicopter could winch him safely to a waiting ambulance.

Dorset Echo:

A spokesperson for Wyke Regis Coastguard said: "Tasked along with Lulworth Coastguard Rescue Team, Kimmeridge Coastguard, South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust and Coastguard Rescue Helicopter from Solent.

"A male suffered a lower leg injury after slipping in the mud at Ringstead. An off-duty paramedic happened to be passing by and began treating the casualty.

"Coastguard rescue officers assisted until paramedics were brought to the scene.

"Once pain relief had been administered the casualty's limb was stabilised, and they were packaged and winched from the scene. An awaiting ambulance at Ringstead NT car park received the casualty for onward transportation to the hospital."

A spokesperson for Kimmeridge Coastguard said: "An off-duty paramedic was walking nearby and had been treating the casualty and keeping emergency services informed of the casualty's condition.

"Once teams had arrived on the scene with the casualty, casualty care was carried out. With an ambulance en route and the coastguard helicopter also minutes away preparations were made for their arrival.

"With ambulance crews and a paramedic from the helicopter now treating the patient and pain relief now helping. Teams got ready for a small stretcher carry to an area where the helicopter could winch safely.

"Whilst Lulworth and Wyke were helping with the extraction of the casualty, Kimmeridge set up an additional helicopter landing site at Ringstead car park for the patient to be handed over to the ambulance for further transportation to the hospital.

"With the patient now in the South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust ambulance and on their way to the hospital, the teams had a debrief and left for their stations.

"We wish the casualty all the best and hope they get better soon."