A blocked chimney caught fire yesterday evening in a Dorset village.

Fire crews from Sturminster Newton and Blandford were called to the blaze in the village of Shillingstone, between Blandford and Sturminster Newton, at 8.32pm yesterday, Wednesday, April 17.

The blocked log burner chimney was put out and the blockage was cleared using a chimney kit.

A spokesperson for Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue said: "We received a call at 8.32pm yesterday evening about a fire involving a chimney on Blandford Road, Shillingstone.

"Crews from Sturminster Newton and Blandford attended the incident which involved a blocked log burner chimney – firefighters extinguished the fire, cleared the blockage using a chimney kit and carried out an inspection of the roof space."

The stop message, meaning that the situation was under control and no more resources were needed, was given at 9.51pm.

A spokesperson for Sturminster Newton said: "One crew from Sturminster Newton and one crew from Blandford Fire Station were mobilised to a suspected chimney fire at an address in Shillingstone.

"Crews made use of a chimney kit to clear any debris and ensure the fire was out."