A cooker caught fire at a property in a village in central Dorset this morning.

Reports of a property fire saw firefighters from Sturminster Newton spring into action as they attended a home in Oakford Fitzpaine just after midnight on Friday, May 17.

Upon arrival it was discovered that a cooker had overheated and caught fire, but had already been put out.

Firefighters therefore checked the cooker and made sure that it had been completely extinguished and offered advice to the property owners before leaving the scene.

A spokesperson for Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "We were called to a property on Castle Avenue, Oakford Fitzpaine at 00.26am today (May 17) following reports of a property fire. 

"One fire engine from Sturminster Newton attended and on arrival found there had been a fire involving an overheating cooker but was out on their arrival.

"The crew did a full inspection to ensure the fire was completely extinguished."