A seagull was left with cuts and an infection after becoming entangled in fishing net.

The bird was found at Weymouth Train Station by a concerned woman who was working nearby and as she was unable to help the bird, she called on Dave Taylor and Jane Fuhrmann of Weymouth and Portland Marine Litter Project.

Mr Taylor said: “One of our followers messaged us to say that she was at work and could not do anything about it and Derek was at work, so Jane and I jumped into the car and luckily Jane had a cat box that we could put it in.”

When they arrived at the train station, Mr Taylor explained that it took them around an hour to locate the bird.

He added: “We found this gull wrapped in a nylon net unable to fly and filthy in the station car park.

“Jane picked the seagull up and said it seemed very light and very unwell.”

The pair then delivered the injured seagull into the care of Derek Davey, a local wildlife rescuer who has been rescuing gulls for more than 25 years.

Ms Fuhrmann said: “Luckily, he has been released after Derek looked after him. He said that if we had not found him, the gull wouldn’t have made it another day. We do feel very thankful that we received the call. Derek is just amazing.”

The bird remained in the care of Mr Davey for a week and has since been released.

Mr Davey said: “I have a funny feeling that the seagull has been caught in a net at sea and has been cut out and dropped with the net going round him and cutting into him - Nylon is very abrasive, it cut into his wings and legs. He had an infected leg and a few wounds.

“I have had six gulls come in in the last week with broken wings - It’s that time of year unfortunately, nesting season.”

In a video captured of the seagull’s release, the bird can be seen swooping around in the open air.

Weymouth and Portland Marine Litter Project recycle all the fishing line that they recover from beaches and their dedicated tackle collection bins.

READ MORE: Seagulls shot, run over and kicked in the head

READ MORE: Beach covered in rubbish after thousands flock to the coast

Earlier in the week, Mr Davey received a call from the army camp in Wyke after a seagull was left hanging from the razor wire by both wings.

Dorset Echo: Seagull trapped in razor wireSeagull trapped in razor wire (Image: Derek Davey)

He cleaned up the gull’s injuries, noting that they ‘were not too deep.’

Mr Davey said: “Luckily his legs were not caught, otherwise they would have been cut to shreds. It will be a few weeks before this one can be released.”