PENSIONER Harold Walbridge has made an emotional journey to the graveside of his brother killed during a German bombing raid on Portland.

Teenager George Walbridge was among civilians who died when the Luftwaffe attacked the island's Royal Navy base in July, 1940.

But 16-year-old George was buried in an unmarked grave and now, more than 60 years later, his family have found the site and erected a memorial to him.

Along with George, Harold Walbridge, now 78 and living in Weymouth with his wife Sheila, was employed by McAlpine, working in the tunnels above HMS Osprey when the Foylebank was attacked by enemy bombers.

The brothers were victims of the attack with George killed outright and Harold seriously injured.

Harold said: "I learned later that my parents, the late Basil and Eva Walbridge, thought they had lost both their sons as I could not be found."

He was later found among naval casualities in Portland Hospital, suffering from loss of memory.

George was buried in the old cemetery at St George's Church on Portland but his grave has not been visited by any of the family for almost 58 years.

Mr Walbridge said: "His grave and others close by were simply mounds for over three years and at that time my parents would visit to lay holly wreaths.

"Then the mounds were all flattened and the ground became so overgrown that by the time I ended my service in the merchant navy it was impossible to find the exact location of my brother's grave."

Recently, a member of a branch of the family researching the family tree came across George's name and decided to find the grave of the tragic youngster.

He traced records kept at St George's Church and found the plot in which George lies along with Frank Milford, 45, and James Hoskins, 18, who had also been civilian victims of the bombing.

He has tidied up the plot and a headstone now marks the place where George lies. Three of the young victim's brothers still live on Portland and a sister lives in Bideford in north Devon.

Now, for the first time, the family have been able to visit their brother's grave where they have placed a wreath bearing the poignant message 'found you at last.'

The wreath-laying ceremony was attended by Mr and Mrs Harold Walbridge, and younger brother Neville Walbridge accompanied by his wife and members of the extended family.

Lingering by the grave, Harold said: "This brings it all back to me, the bad time of that terrible day in July, 1940 and the good times I spent growing up with George for we were best mates as well as brothers."