A BOAT was destroyed after a rubbish fire in Charmouth.

Dorset Fire and Rescue Service said a discarded barbecue sparked a fire in a dustbin area on the town’s beach early yesterday which spread to a fibreglass sailing dinghy and trailer.

The dustbins and boat were destroyed and a second boat was damaged.

A spokesman for Dorset Fire and Rescue Service said: “We believe the cause of the fire was most likely to be a disposable barbecue which had not cooled down sufficiently. We would urge anybody using these barbecues to make sure they are completely extinguished and cold before disposing of them.”

Shop and café owners learnt of the fire when they arrived for work yesterday morning.

One boat owner said: “I hope the boat was insured. It’s a popular place to leave boats, but people leave their boats here at their own risk. It’s open to the elements and people could come down and take them or something like this could happen.”

Dorset Police officers also attended the beach fire.