A LEAKING refrigeration unit sparked an emergency response to the London 2012 shop in Weymouth.

Dorset Fire and Rescue Service were alerted to the possible chemical spillage at the old Tourist Information Centre on the Esplanade just before 10.30am this morning.

A fire service spokesman said: “Crews were on the scene within five minutes and investigated the smell of ammonia using two breathing apparatus.

“The cause was ascertained to be a leak from a refrigeration unit in the basement, the unit was removed from the property by crews and the local authority arranged disposal.

“The basement was ventilated as best as possible, eight members of staff on the scene were complaining of sore eyes but no one was taken to hospital or treated on the scene.”