The success of the Victory bus company did not last long, and with thanks to transport historian Brian Jackson, we explore its eventual absorption into larger businesses.

DURING the summer of 1929 a Saturday-only express service between Weymouth and London was introduced, followed by services operating from Portland to London, Portsmouth and Plymouth. To run these routes, Victory purchased a Gillford 166SD coach with a 26-seat Wycombe body. In June 1932 the company acquired an AEC Regal coach for just over £1,000, a top of the range vehicle with power assisted brakes, a quality gearbox and a good fuel return. Satisfied, Victory purchased a second in May 1933.

In 1930, Victory also applied to Weymouth Council to operate a service around Westham housing estate to the King's Statue, but this was not granted permission.

Yet trouble brewed with the introduction of the Road Traffic Act in 1930, which enforced strict licensing rules and regular inspections of vehicles. The old charabancs were quickly disposed of and Deacon and Smith ceased to be directors, replaced by the astute businessman, Norman Wright.

By the mid-1930s, three companies - Victory, Greyhound and Southern National - were all providing a selection of day and half-day tours, but under the new Act there were strict rules concerning touting for trade. Employees of both Victory and Greyhound were found to contravene these rules by a ministry inspector, resulting in both companies having their tours and excursion licences suspended for seven days by the Traffic Commissioners. It was decided to combine the two business as Greyhound Coaches (Weymouth) Ltd from September 29, 1934, with all vehicles to be housed in the Greyhound garage at Charlestown.

The new company was short-lived, and Greyhound was taken over by Southern National in 1935. The Holly Road premises were soon disposed of, although they remained in the motor trade business until the 1980s when all but Overdale House was demolished.

Following the company's demise, Miller went into the car finance business, while Norman Wright enjoyed a career with W & J Tod, the boat builders based in Wyke Regis. Wright guided the firm from the construction of small wooden boats into fibreglass dinghies and motorboats, rising through the ranks to become managing director. In 1960, Wright was awarded an MBE for his work with fibreglass. Smith moved to Bournemouth upon retirement, where he lived until his death in 1959. Dawe remained with the borough fire brigade, becoming chief officer in June 1940 and divisional officer of the Dorset Fire Service, before passing away in 1956 at the age of 56.