IT'S time to revisit this old photo of Boot Hill in Weymouth, an image we greatly enjoyed in these pages with so much going on.

It's worth pointing out that Boot Hill used to be known as Edwards Avenue, named after the famous Weymouth philanthropist Sir Henry Edwards. There is a sign in the wall as you walk up the hill on the left hand side of Rodwell road saying Edwards Avenue. Thanks to Alvin Hopper for sharing this information. However Alvin has no idea how Edwards Avenue became known as Boot Hill.

Sir Henry was a linseed merchant who was the town's MP for almost two decades in the 19th century. He started his career in the office of Stephen Cleasby aged 17 and six years later he became a broker in linseed.

A profile of him in Vanity Fair on November 11, 1882 describes his rise: He soon made a handsome fortune, and being a hospitable man with a taste for horses, he turned his attention to Parliament.

There is a statue of Sir Henry in Weymouth's Alexandra Gardens. It was unveiled in 1885. It remains today and shows him standing proudly with his chest out, overlooking the town.

Another reader, an online commenter, 'rightsideoftheriver' informs us that a good family friend of Sir Henry, Mrs Hilda Sandsford lived in the Almshouse on the corner of Boot Hill and James Street. She ran the High West Street Tavern with her husband Bill, and went to live in Edwards Homes when her husband died. The pub closed on the passing of Mr Bill Sandsford, leaving the Boot and Belvedere pubs which remain today.