After thanksgiving services were broadcast on Weymouth Esplanade, the National Anthems of the Allied nations were broadcast and the crowds joined in with fervour.

The service was concluded with the Blessing, and as the last words were pronounced a little fishing boat moved across the bay, its red sail glowing in a shaft of sunlight, and somehow it seemed a symbol of peace.

Then it was time for the parties to begin. The American Red Cross started their celebrations overnight with a film, Hollywood Canteen. It ran until 2.15am.

On VE Day Mr and Mrs A Munro entertained a party of 14 friends to luncheon at the Clinton Restaurant. Among those present were Mr Percy Smallman (Town Clerk) and Mrs Smallman, and Mr Harold Joy, the accountant. It was Mr Smallman’s birthday.

On Monday Allied sailors climbed up some of the buildings and helped themselves to flags. The antics of a dog with a red, white and blue ribbon tied to its tail caused considerable amusement on the Esplanade. Numbers of youths rendered happy by near-beer, wandered about the Front until the small hours singing blithely. Large policemen looked on tolerantly. There were no “incidents.”

The B.W. Club for the Forces [Chelmsford Street] celebrated in fine style, and both days will long be remembered by helpers and Service men and women alike. Large numbers packed the hall and rest rooms and festivities went on until eleven o’clock. There was certainly no shortage of food, for jellies and tinned fruit had been saved for many years for this occasion. Helpers were busy on both days, making trifles, jellies, cakes and pastries and all was free on both evenings

Sidney Street Party: The residents of Sidney Street, Westham, celebrated VR-Day plus 1 with a children’s party.

A fair on the Marsh was in full swing, and as dusk fell was brilliantly lit up with scores of electric lamps. Dogs were done up like dinners, with rosettes and red, white and blue ribbons round their collars. Taxi cabs were in great demand, and the motto seemed to be from both sides “Hang the expense.”

On both nights of the VE holiday the Pier Bandstand was crowded with a merry-making throng, singing, dancing, laughing and shouting. On VE-plus 1 day, dancing had spread to the Promenade, and the dancers were kept dancing by a series of jumping crackers, thunder-flashes, catherine wheels and other fireworks. In spite of a ban, a huge bonfire was soon blazing merrily on the beach. Later there were rockets and roman candles, lighting up the sky and the jostling throng.

Thousands of people took advantage of the free entrance to the Pier Bandstand. The Mayor looked in to watch the dancing, and most of Weymouth’s leading citizens paid a visit.