After a pause in proceedings for a week, we resume the journey along Dorchester's High Street.

50 High West Street, known as Wadham House, may well have been two houses at one time.

It was occupied at one time by the Dorset County Council Agricultural Committee. In 1982, it was the offices of the Clerk of the Justices dealing with the law courts in County Hall.

It seemed to have been closed about 2001 with the building being empty for some time; after extensive building work it is now divided into flats and town houses.

Moving on, 51 High West Street was occupied by Misses E and L Shirley as milliners in 1874. In the 1950s, it was Thomas Coombs and Morton, then Thomas Coombs and Son, solicitors. From 1975 to 1987 it was Melpas Symonds Solicitors. The building was then empty for five to six years, then occupied by Jackson-Stops & Staff, estate agents who still occupy the premises.

The premises may well have been divided at one time during the 1920s to 1930s by J R R Judson, Ladies tailor. The building was once owned by Thomas Hardy and was a residence of Sarah, the Duchess of Marlborough.

Next we arrive at 52 High West Street. George Woods, upholsterer and cabinet maker, moved here from No 47 in 1889. It was used at one time by Genge and Co as a hostel for its employees. In 1972, optician I.W.Bevis based there closed. It was then Richardson Chubb, stockbrokers until 1978. There was a gap between 1978 and 1982 when occupied by the Dorchester Agricultural Society, which may have shared with Marie Curie who were there in 1986. Then it was John Walker, antiques, in 1989. The Agricultural Society seems to have left in 1992 when A.C.Bowden, Estate Agents took over, becoming Dickinson Bowden in 1996. John Walker Antiques left in 2002 to be replaced by ‘Poets Eye’ arts, crafts and antiques. Poets Eye ceased in 2003 and Dickinson Bowden continued to occupy, taking over the whole premises.

Thanks as ever to Derek Pride for this detailed history of the high street.