A daredevil stunt rider is remembered for carrying out 'leaps of death' over up to nine cars.

Brian Huddy of Weymouth, who died in 2008, would smash through burning caravans on the back of his beloved motorbike.

Wearer of the '222' number, he was described by friend and fellow rider Colin Ayles as a 'true character'.

Dorset Echo:

Brian's fearless stunts wowed crowds locally at the Wessex Stadium, the Big Affair in Chickerell, the Dorset Steam Fair and even went up to King's Lynn and Bristol to jump cars around different stadiums.

He achieved these great feats after growing up in a Wyke Regis children's home on Ford's Corner. He went on to become a landscape gardener but couldn't resist a more daring challenge.

A friend, the late George Freeman, dared Brian that he could not jump over a car.

Speaking in 2007, Brian explained: "I was mad on bikes and I still love them.

Dorset Echo:

Brian Huddy

"I was a scramble rider with Weymouth Motorbike Club and I got into it after my good friend George dared me that I wouldn't jump over a car.

"He said to me 'I don't think you'll do it'. We were at a race at the Wessex Stadium and so in the interval he set up the jump over one car. I was surprised to see that the ramp edge was lower than the car but I couldn't chicken out so I went ahead. I don't think George really wanted me to make the jump.

"As I went over my wheels clipped the car but I landed fine, and that was how I got into stunt riding. It was quite exciting, actually."

Dorset Echo:

After that first jump there was no stopping Brian. He would jump over up to nine cars at a time, 'a lot in those days', on his Mako 490 that he was loaned by sponsor and motorbike shop owner Brian Goss in Yeovil.

Mr Huddy even agreed to step in for protege Colin Ayles when the young stunt rider injured his back in an accident in 1981.

But he suffered the same injury in a similar crash and ended up in the same hospital ward as Mr Ayles.

Pulling out an old photo, Brian said at the time: "My favourite photograph is of me mid-air jumping over these old cars. Every time I look at it I just can't believe it was me."

He added: "It felt good jumping, it was thrilling. I always got excited and it was something different. I used to get such a kick out of it, but I did used to feel a bit nervous beforehand."

Dorset Echo:

Speaking about his very different childhood, Brian said: "I never knew my parents unfortunately, so I ended up in this children's home. There were about 90 boys there and I asked if I could work in the gardens.

"It was OK at the home, strict, but I don't think it did me any harm. In fact, I think it was probably good for me. I made a very good friend there who I treat more as a brother, and I've been to his house for Christmas dinner for the last 45 years straight."

Dorset Echo:

Aged 75, Brian's home still had a mini-bike perched on a counter and is a faint smell of engine oil in the air.

As much as he enjoyed scrambling and his stunt work, it did get Brian into trouble a few times. He landed in hospital several times and he said that riding stripped him of his money - and a wife.

He said: "I met a girl who was staying at the Sea View holiday park and we started going out. She lived in Eastleigh and so I moved there to be near her and got a job up there.

"I had my eye on this bike, a Gold Star, and I had been saving up from working at the holiday park. My girlfriend thought I was saving up for our wedding and told me that if I bought the bike she would finish it because she didn't want me to ride.

"Well, I ordered the bike and I'm still single. Every penny I had went on that bike without her knowing. But I had it delivered to her parents' house and that was it. I was there for six months but never really liked it. I stuck it out though, and I couldn't get back down to Weymouth fast enough. I whistled the whole way back. I never got married. The riding kept me single. Sometimes I regret it but when I got that job in Eastleigh I thought I was going to settle down. But I broke all my rules and said 'no, I want that bike'."

Dorset Echo:

Brian also ended up in hospital with back problems. All the heavy landings affected his vertebrae and on doctor's orders he gave up jumping.

"Did I fall off? Oh yes," he said with a chuckle, "several times. I ended up in hospital a few times too. When I jumped a row of cars I landed heavily and did my vertebrae in. I ended up in Yeovil and Weymouth hospitals about three or four times. Eventually the doctor said to me 'Mr Huddy, you're lucky you didn't end up paralysed'.

"I packed it all in and just got little quad and mini bikes that I take round to shows and teach children to ride. That's my hobby. I'm lucky to be still running around, I think all the riding kept me going."

Brian died at Dorset County Hospital in August 2008 from complications arising from heart valve surgery. Members of the Hants and Dorset Youth Motocross Club paid tribute to him at their next meeting with Colin Ayles donning the '222' number.