These images show shops, homes and streets in the Dorchester Road and Upwey area of Weymouth through time.

Just use the simple slider device to travel from the past to present day and see how things have changed.

1.) Dorchester Road, Weymouth

624 Dorchester Road was once J.E Gray's family grocer and is now the Castle Veterinary Clinic.

2.) Ridgeway Bridge - pre-1957 as the Halt is still in use

3.) Broadwey, Dorchester Road

In the modern photo you can see the now closed Swan Inn, which is now in residential use. Some signage still remains. The Swan Inn had a malthouse attached in the 1820s which caught fire and damaged adjoining buildings. Arson was suspected and resulted in a court case.

4.) View of Mrs Wright's extended shop from the garage forecourt c. 1950s

5.) Garage on Dorchester Road, which became Dorset Vehicle Rentals

6.) Dorchester Road junction with Elwell Street c. 1920

It's hard to believe that the main road turned sharp right just beyond the telegraph pole! The Royal Oak pub is on the right.

7.) The Premier Garage c. 1920 

Slide across to see that this site became Wey Valley Mazda, which no longer remains since the garage moved to Dorchester 

8.) Littlemoor

Littlemoor, a peaceful, uninhabited open road leading from Broadwey to Preston was transformed by the War Office during the First World War.

Large huts were erected for the accommodation of Lord Kitchener’s latest recruits. At some point after, this the newly built camp became a hospital for injured Australian troops and so began a relationship between the people of Weymouth and our Commonwealth soldiers.