Many tourists go straight to Portland Bill to photograph the lighthouse.

But did you know that this part of Portland, the southernmost point of Dorset, was once a busy working pier used by the nearby quarries? 

Pulpit Rock is one of the most photographed landmarks along the coast.

It was created in around 1875 when quarrymen working in the adjoining Beacon Quarry left this pillar standing from the working floor.

Dorset Echo:

The old red crane at Portland Bill has played an important role in both the stone and fishing industries.

Dorset Echo:

Cranes were positioned on the piers from where stone was loaded on to barges to be transported to London and beyond.

Stone was conveyed by railway wagons from the quarries to the Bill where the red crane loaded it on to the barges.

The crane, the only one of its kind still in use, is still used by one fisherman and divers.

Dorset Echo:

The pyramid-shaped structure on the Bill is a navigation beacon for inshore boats. It was erected in 1844 to replace a 30ft column.

The 'T.H' on its side stands for Trinity House.