Video courtesy of Mark Huckle


PHIL Simkin says Kieffer Moore has already surpassed his expectations after scoring three goals in as many games since joining the Magpies.

Moore's brace at former club Truro City made it 16 in all for the striker this season as the county town side secured a third win in four matches.

Dorchester boss Simkin felt his men fully deserved the victory and heaped praise on new man Moore, who he feels can only get better under his guidance at the Avenue.

“Kieffer Moore is an excellent footballer and a very nice young man who wants to learn and improve and he is very ambitious,” Simkin told Echosport.

“He's got that knack of scoring goals but he is not just a goal scorer, he can play as well.

“We will improve him and teach him things he needs to work on and then we will have a serious player on our hands.

“He is still raw in lots of areas but they are not parts of his game that can't be worked on.

“What he has done so far surpasses my expectations.

“I thought he would take time to settle but he has just taken to things like a duck to water and can only get better and better.”

Despite losing the services of the injured Ben Watson, the Magpies welcomed back Mark Jermyn, Nathan Walker and Ashley Nicholls to the starting line-up with Harry Bell and Lewis Morgan dropping to the bench.

With Watson out because of a groin problem Charlie Clough again took on the mantle of the second striker alongside Moore while also handing the captain's armband back to the returning Jermyn.

Jason Matthews kept hold of the number one jersey and there was a sign of things to come early on when he had to tip over a Martin Watts free kick.

Both sides created half chances, Moore for Dorchester and Cody Cooke for Truro, before the former rose above his old teammates to power a header past Luke Payne and show the home supporters exactly what they are missing.

But just a few minutes later Truro equalised when Watts' thunderbolt of a free kick flew past Matthews to make it 1-1.

From then on there wasn't a great deal to choose between the sides though Clough put a great chance wide and then lifted a shot over the bar on the stroke of half time following a yellow card for Walker.

It didn't take long after the restart for Truro defender Watts to chance his arm again from a free kick - and he nearly scored his second of the night only for the ball to clip Matthews' crossbar.

The Magpies' goal was leading a charmed life and on 65 minutes the woodwork was struck again, this time the post saving the visitors from going 2-1 behind.

Then it was Dorchester's turn to put pressure on Truro as first of all Moore forced Payne into a smart save then a Clough header made the keeper work again.

With the clock ticking down towards the last 10 minutes and the three points still very much up for grabs, Truro midfielder Joe Broad went in hard on Nicholls prompting a fracas between both sets of players. Luckily for Broad he was only cautioned by Radstock referee Richard Hulme.

Once things had calmed down there was still a game to be won for either side and the feeling was that a winning goal was lurking just around the corner.

And with a minute of normal time left that man Moore grabbed his and the Magpies' second, collecting the ball 18 yards out before drilling it past Payne.

Truro: Payne, Hodges, Watts, Gerring, Kendall, Broad, Cooke, Martin (capt), Hayles, Watkins, Afful. Subs not used: Hall, Wright, Williams.

Magpies: Matthews, Jermyn (capt), Smeeton, Pugh, N Walker, Gleeson, Malsom, Nicholls, Moore, Clough, Martin. Subs not used: Morgan, Bell, Way, Brooks, S Walker.