JORDAN Copp held his nerve to give Weymouth their first Dorset Senior Cup in 13 years.

The defender converted from the penalty spot just after the break to score what proved to be the only goal of the final.

And the Terras’ 1-0 victory at the Bob Lucas Stadium also saw them defeat bitter rivals Dorchester for a fourth time this season.

Their narrow win followed two triumphs in the league and one in the Red Insure Cup.

The first chance of the county showpiece fell to Weymouth’s Chris McPhee three minutes in, though his shot from Alec Fiddes’ pass didn’t trouble Dorchester keeper Alan Walker-Harris.

Former Terras midfielder Dan Smith was then on the receiving end of a strong challenge from Steve Colwell as both sides looked to stamp their authority on the final.

Weymouth were the team on top in the opening 10 minutes, forcing their rivals to concede a couple of early corners, while McPhee and skipper Stewart Yetton linked up nicely down the right flank.

The Magpies could well have broken the deadlock on 18 minutes had Terras player-manager Jason Matthews not got lucky.

The keeper took far too long to clear the ball some eight yards from his own goal and a poor touch almost let in Smith.

Luckily for Matthews he just managed to avert the danger and gleefully dived on the loose ball to save his blushes.

Matthews was nearly beaten seven minutes later when Lewis Morgan hooked a left-footed effort millimetres over the Weymouth crossbar.

Sadly for Dorchester centre-back Chris Dillon, his game was brought to a premature end on the half hour. The defender hobbled off with an injury and was replaced by Ryan Murray.

Poole referee Justin Amey then handed out the first booking of the contest to Sam Lanahan after he brought down Chris Shephard as the latter tried to break clear.

Walker-Harris was called into action 60 seconds later, tipping over Colwell’s goal-bound attempt from the edge of the area.

In truth, the first half was a massive disappointment and the match needed a goal early in the second period to bring it to life – and that goal took just five minutes to arrive.

Fiddes slid the ball through to Yetton and when he was brought down in the Dorchester box the referee didn’t hesitate in pointing to the spot.

Left-back Copp stepped up to stroke home the penalty, slotting his effort into the corner of the net pasta despairing Walker-Harris.

Weymouth came within inches of doubling their lead moments later, Fiddes cutting in on his left foot and smashing a shot against the bar.

Dorchester tried to hit back immediately and Sam Poole found his way into the official’s notebook when he brought down Ben Watson.

And, following half-hearted appeals from the county town fans for a penalty after a challenge by Matthews on Morgan, Smith became the next player to have his name taken, again for an illegal challenge.

A touch of frustration was creeping into Dorchester’s play, some because of the way the game was going, but also due to a number of questionable decisions by the referee’s assistant.

Magpies boss Mark Jermyn and his players were clearly left perplexed by several offside calls.

That said, too many of the Avenue outfit’s players were just not at the races on the night and they struggled to create chances throughout the encounter.

Weymouth were unlucky not to be awarded a second penalty 10 minutes from time.

Substitute Adam Kelly appeared to be fouled inside the Dorchester area, however, a free-kick was given. From the resulting set-piece, Kelly fired a shot just over Walker-Harris’ goal.

A vital clearance by Poole denied Nathan Walker the opportunity to level late on, while Shephard curled an attempt wide of the target at the other end.

Shephard should have made it 2-0 in injury-time but he shot straight at Walker-Harris – and he nearly paid for that miss.

Seconds later, Walker, thrown forward to support Watson, brought a fine save out of Matthews.

Terras: Matthews, Wells (West 52), Copp, McPhee, Poole, Brooks, Fiddes (Kelly 75), Rigg, Yetton, Colwell, Shephard. Subs not used: Will, Jevon, Beasley.

Magpies: Walker-Harris, Lanahan, Smeeton, Morgan, Walker, Dillon (Murray 31), Crittenden, Gleeson, Watson, Smith, Tarbuck. Subs not used: Brookes, Godfrey, Jerrard.

Bookings: Terras – Poole (foul, 54)

Magpies – Lanahan (foul, 33), Smith (foul, 63)

Referee: Justin Amey (Poole)

Attendance: 442