WEYMOUTH & Portland continued their surge away from the relegation places with a 32-31 victory over New Milton Seconds in Dorset & Wilts One South.

The victory is the third consecutive win for the Seahorses that sees them now sit one point above the relegation places.

It means they will fight with Bridport and New Milton for the final relegation spot, with the latter still in danger being four points ahead of Bridport on the final day of the season.

The Seasiders started slowly as they conceded two tries, with one converted, in the first 10 minutes that stunned the home side.

The play from Weymouth then became quite attritional, with the forwards taking the ball up the middle of the field until they camped in the New Milton 22.

A penalty try reduced the arrears for the home side after 15 minutes that took the score to 12-7 to the visitors.

After 25 minutes, Weymouth struck again as Norton Rodgers then got the ball in the home side’s half, beat his man on the right before outrunning the defence to score in the corner to level the scores.

However, Weymouth then gave away another try to go 19-12 down, before the Seahorses quickly responded with a penalty won by Alex Thoms to go in 19-15 down at the break.

New Milton had only 16 players which began to tell during the second half as players had to carry on despite picking up injuries.

Straight after the kick-off, Weymouth put New Milton under pressure and Louis Allan scored a try, which was converted by Thoms to take the lead for the first time in the match.

The Seahorses then won another penalty to bring the scores to 25-19.

A good move down the left then let the home side notch what would prove to be the winning try from Dan Hayne, which was converted to give Weymouth a 32-19 lead with five minutes to go.

However, the away side went in search of a bonus point try and obtained it to narrow the scores to 32-24.

Deep in injury time, New Milton kept pursuing another try, despite having no chance to win.

New Milton’s efforts proved successful and they narrowed the scores with the last touch of the match to end the game in favour of the home side 32-31.

Weymouth now face a crunch home clash against Swanage & Wareham Seconds, this Saturday (3pm) knowing that they must win to be sure of staving off relegation.