Neal 3, 51 Buse 20
Odubade 12, 59 Thomson 19

A YEMI Odubade penalty proved the final strike in a thrilling 3-3 draw between leaders Taunton Town and second-placed Weymouth in the Evo-Stik Southern Premier South.

Taunton's Rocky Neal and Odubade both grabbed a brace, while Matt Buse and Ben Thomson also scored in a breathless encounter which saw the two sides deadlocked at 2-2 after just 20 minutes.

It was a much-changed side that arrived at the Viridor Stadium for the Terras.

There were four changes, with Lloyd Thomas in for Jordan Seabright, who has left the club but remains signed on.

Ashley Wells took the place of Calvin Brooks, Jordan Ngalo replaced the suspended Stephane Zubar and Odubade came in for striker Brandon Goodship, who was on the bench.

Taunton had already fired Weymouth a warning over their ability to start fast, and so it proved again.
Before the Terras could muster any sort of attack they were a goal down.

Ben Adelsbury headed wide of the far post after Taunton forced Jake McCarthy to clear for a corner.

Yet it would be less than two minutes before Neal cut inside and fired past Thomas to send the Taunton fans behind the goal into rapturous applause.

Weymouth seemed rattled and it showed when McCarthy mishit a back pass to Thomas which forced the goalkeeper into some difficulty in trying to clear.

Thomson attempted to haul the Terras back into it but his curling effort was well wide of the post.

Taunton demonstrated their danger from set pieces when Keith Emmerson headed towards goal, producing a great save from Thomas.

Yet somewhat against the run of play at this stage, Weymouth would equalise.

Odubade was able to side-foot home from five yards out after great work from Abdulai Baggie and Callum Buckley saw the latter pull the ball back to Odubade, prompting huge celebrations from the Weymouth fans behind the goal.

The match simmered for a matter of six minutes before a chaotic two minutes saw Weymouth go a goal ahead before conceding an equaliser.

Firstly, Thomson easily ran forward, avoiding calls for offside, to dribble past onrushing Taunton goalkeeper Mike Davies and fire home.

One minute later, Taunton equalised when Buse headed home a cross from Pierce Mitchell.

Josh Carmichael then whipped a shot over the bar from distance, while McCarthy headed over a Josh Wakefield free-kick as Weymouth slowly hauled themselves into the ascendency.

Yet Taunton were still a threat, which was proven when Neal headed wide of the far post from a Mitchell cross.
Davies then produced two brilliant saves in quick succession to deny Weymouth a third. 

Firstly, he punched clear a Thomson header from the goalline before he dived well to save a whipped shot from inside the box by Wakefield.

Wells was booked for bringing down Dan Sullivan but Adelsbury’s free-kick was straight at Thomas.

The league positions of the two sides were reflected gleefully in their performances and to the neutral it would not surprise them to learn that the two sides are duelling so delicately for the title.

McCarthy was on hand to take the ball off Sullivan, with a well-timed tackle but the two were deadlocked at the break.

Unfortunately for the Terras, Taunton mimicked their start to the first half in the second, with Neal scoring seven minutes into the half, when he fired in from close range.

Unfortunately for the Peacocks, so did the Terras, when Odubade grabbed his second of the match after 59 minutes.

Taunton began to tire and the sight of Goodship coming on after 75 minutes could not have helped matters.

The Terras nearly saw a shot from Buckley sneak into the bottom corner, but Davies saved and despite Weymouth's late dominance they could not find a way through.

Mark Molesley's men are next in action on New Year's Day when they host Poole Town (3pm).

Taunton: Davies, Mitchell (Nelmes 63), Hall (Dodd 81), Adelsbury, Emmerson, Buse, Chamberlain, Sullivan (Veal 71), Wright, White, Neal
Subs not used: Sullivan, Hallett

Terras: Thomas, Wells, Buckley, Ngalo, Sherring, McCarthy, Wakefield (Baker 85), Carmichael, Thomson, Odubade (Goodship 75), Baggie
Subs not used: Sa, Martin, Molesley

Attendance: 1,461


t: 01305 830990
e: aidan.williams
twitter: @EchosportAidan