DORCHESTER Town boss Steve Thompson was “delighted” at having held off a Harrow Borough comeback to earn a crucial 3-2 Evo-Stik Southern Premier win.

Two goals from Ben Seymour either side of a Luke Winsper tap-in had put Dorchester in cruise control at 3-0 only for Harrow to set up a tense finale with a late Antony O’Connor double.

Victory broke a five-month winless sequence in the league at home dating back to a 2-1 win over Hartley Wintney on September 1.

Speaking to Echosport, Thompson expressed his satisfaction with a long-awaited triumph.

He said: “I came in at half-time and we’d had four or five really good chances and I was disappointed to be only 1-0 up.

“Then to go 3-0 up was needed because of what happened at the end. I’m delighted with the win. We’re not getting carried away by it though, there’s a lot of hard work to be done.

“We’ve got a massive game (tomorrow against Frome).”

Thompson questioned his training methods after the Magpies appeared to tire after 60 minutes and feared he may have over-worked his players.

He said: “I’m delighted with the win, it was so badly needed it was untrue. It was tough and it was a long time to go with 3-0, there was 40 minutes.

“We looked like we tired, but I don’t know why. To be fair we’ve worked in training, Tuesday and Thursday. Obviously we’ve missed a game, so Tuesday was very much a physical session, I felt it had to be done. Thursday was more technical and tactical, so I hope I didn’t overcook them.”

He added: “I’ve ended up using three different systems in the last 20 minutes. We’ve gone from 3-5-2 to 4-3-3 and then finished on 4-5-1, but sometimes needs must.

“I’m quite experienced in working with teams through Yeovil and Woking. I don’t think I overcooked them but I don’t know for sure. If you looked at the evidence, maybe I did.

“We missed training and Merthyr because of the snow, and it’s hard when you’ve got four or five full-time pros because they’re going in, doing their training and the others aren’t, so it’s a hard balance to find.

“We don’t always have those boys in because of their commitments with other clubs.

“The last 25 minutes we didn’t play well, we couldn’t seem to keep hold of the ball, we panicked a little bit at times and even then Kingsley (Latham, goalkeeper) produced a very good save in the last minute.”