WEYMOUTH 201-9 (8pts) lost to COMPTON HOUSE 202-7 (19pts) by three wickets

A BRAVE Weymouth fightback with the ball was insufficient as Compton House held on to deservedly win their County Division One encounter at Redlands by three wickets.

Harry Mitchell’s Seasiders had posted 201-9 from 45 overs after a superb 65 not out from Matt Lawes carried the hosts to full batting points.

However, Michael Harper (99), dropped by Neil Walton midway through his innings, nearly carried his bat for a classy century as House romped to 106-0 before surviving the loss of seven wickets to win with two balls to spare.

Weymouth were unsurprisingly invited to bat after an uncontested toss, House looking to capitalise on favourable bowling conditions created by the morning’s persistent light rain.

An almost automatic decision seemed to backfire as Kieron Womble (37) and Dom Webb (17) shared 54 in an impressive stand.

Womble blasted Mike Kennedy (2-31) for a four and a six before nicking one to slip next ball, sparking a collapse to 110-6 as Weymouth’s top and middle order lost wickets carelessly.

Lawes and Walton (23) then put on 49 for the seventh wicket to guide the hosts to a defendable total, the former hitting seven fours in a valuable knock.

But Harper quickly set upon the Weymouth attack alongside the aggressive Joe Watts (58) who offered a simple return catch to Mitchell (2-42) to end the century stand.

Mitchell soon struck again to remove Kennedy (2) as House lost five wickets for 51 runs, Lloyd Beals snaring 2-37, but Harper cashed in on his reprieve to launch a six and tie the scores before the visitors got over the line in a tense finale.

Speaking to Echosport, Mitchell blamed poor batting for his side’s defeat.

He said: “We lost the game in the middle order, we gave away three or four quick wickets. Then we had to rebuild and it did help us out.

“I thought the partnership between Matt and Neil was positive batting but 200 was only a par score.

“I don’t think (Compton House) were special, we just weren’t on it, which wasn’t like us.”

On the Seasiders’ bowling, Mitchell added: “We knew it was only one or two wickets away from a tense finish.

“Overall we just didn’t get that luck with the new ball, not putting it in the right areas early on. It took us two or three overs to get into it and by then they had a look at the conditions.”

Elsewhere, Weymouth Seconds’ top-of-the-table County Division Six clash at Lytchett fell victim to the inclement weather.