WEYMOUTH 216-7 (12pts) lost to SHILLINGSTONE 219-9 (18pts) by one wicket

WEYMOUTH suffered a dramatic and controversial one-wicket defeat to Shillingstone off the final ball of their County Division One clash at Redlands.

The Seasiders were incensed by a stumping chance that was not given as a Shillingstone player, standing as square leg umpire, did not give the decision.

Ill feeling between the sides consequently developed as Shillingstone, who were unhappy with a vocal home support, closed on victory.

The controversy detracted from what had been a superb contest, with the visitors needing six from the final over with three wickets in hand.

Weymouth managed to haul themselves within reach of the win as Sami Rathnayake (2-36) had Ian Paulley (24) caught behind before Jerry Shaw (6) was run out next ball.

With the match boiling down to the final ball, Shillingstone required two to win and Will Bowden (6no) duly sliced Rathnayake over point for four to seal the double over Weymouth.

Harry Mitchell’s men had sustained an agonising one-wicket loss with one ball remaining at Hamworthy Recreation last weekend and this latest defeat adds to a cruel one-run reverse at Shillingstone in May.

Earlier, Weymouth won the toss and elected to bat as Dom Webb (69), Dave Blackman (44no), Simon Browne (23) and Rathnayake (20no) all contributed to what was feared to be a below-par score of 216-7 from 45 overs.

Shillingstone, led by Harry Paulley (98), duly cantered along to 130-0 until Jack Sapsworth (1-27) made the crucial breakthrough when dismissing Robin Cunningham (33), Graham Puckett taking an excellent catch.

But Weymouth were ultimately guilty of dropping Harry Paulley a staggering nine times, dropping further chances later in the innings. Despite their profligacy, Weymouth battled back as Mitchell claimed 3-40 alongside fellow spinner Shafeek Urumancheri (2-33).

Shillingstone had slipped to 179-6 and were indebted to Ian Paulley for setting up a nailbiting finale as the north Dorset side held on for a nervy win.

Speaking to Echosport, Weymouth skipper Harry Mitchell said: “The big thing was the stumping that wasn’t given.

“That’s where the bad blood came from and the batsman went on to score another 30 or 40 so it’s a huge talking point.

“The slower bowlers, myself, Shaf and Sappy tightened it right up and all of a sudden we started taking a few catches and I thought we were going to win.

“Then the bloke got an outside edge over gully to win the game, but to get back into it you have to say a huge well done to our


Elsewhere, County Division Six leaders Weymouth Seconds beat Puddletown Seconds by 15 runs to extend their lead over Puddle to 26 points.


t: 01305 830990

e: neil.walton


twitter: @EchoSportNeil