IT WAS a disappointing second defeat in a row for Yeovil as they went down to south west rivals Plymouth Argyle.

The game began slowly but with the Glovers in control of the majority of possession.

The only real talking point was that Argyle could have easily been down to 10 players in the opening minute as Yeovil’s Charlotte Buxton felt the full force of Kayley Lane’s challenge.

The Pilgrims had some early pressure in the opening 10 minutes with a handful of set-pieces.

Yeovil began to retain possession in the middle and final thirds but only a tame effort from Meesha Dudley-Jones headed towards Rebekah Kyle’s goal resulted.

In the heat on the south west coast, the game failed to spark into life, even with a drinks break.

However, the deadlock was broken just after the half-hour mark.

The visitors lost possession under no pressure and a quick through ball let Becky Dandridge through to score.

Yeovil reacted well to the goal with a more pace and got forward with a rare ball into the box but Erin Bloomfield failed to find Sarah Wiltshire.

After the break, the visitors started well and got an early shot away but were quickly facing an uphill challenge.

Four minutes into the half, Argyle doubled their lead when Dandridge fired home.

By now Plymouth were playing some scintillating football and the third goal eventually came when Jessie Jones dispossessed former Argyle player Jodie Chubb to race clear one-on-one with Howard and slammed the ball into the corner of the net.

Argyle were now in full control, and a quick move down the left ended with Tash Knapman who slammed the ball home.

It quickly became 5-0 when a great cross from Jones found the unmarked Knapman who headed in her second goal.

It was by far the poorest performance of Yeovil of the season as they slipped from second to fifth with only a consolation goal from a Annie Heatherson effort.

A disappointed Glovers’ boss Jamie Phillip said: “Although we started off well and controlled the tempo overall it was an unacceptable performance.”