DORCHESTER Town’s Ability Counts side had a day of mixed results when they played their first league games of the season at Wimborne.

Dorchester’s Durdle Door side were first to feature, playing Parley Sports.

The Magpies broke through instantly, with Jack Rose steaming through the opposition, before striking the ball against the post. Rose went on to score moments later.

Leon Richer chipped the ball forward toward striker Emil Woodstock, who laid it off for Rose to curl it in first time.

The Magpies lacked composure, and conceded straight after scoring, when Tom Best failed to clear the ball, a path for an easy finish was paved for a Parley player.

However, Best redeemed himself just before half-time.

Rose played it through for Best to knock the ball past the keeper’s near post.

Dorchester were put under pressure in the second half.

Rose blocked the ball on the line, and new signing George Churchouse provided a crucial last-minute tackle.

A string of missed chances by Rose and Richer kept the game at 2-1.

Their next contest was against rivals Wimborne.

Goalkeeper David Taylor kept Dorchester in the game with a succession of one-on-one saves.

Rose tucked away his second goal of the tournament, weaving around defenders, before unleashing the ball into the bottom right corner.

Wimborne drew level in the second half. A goal kick was palmed away by Taylor, but allowed a Wimborne striker to bundle the ball over the line.

Dorchester were rocked and conceded two more goals from being exposed easily at the back.

It finished 3-1 to Wimborne.

Dorchester’s Lulworth league side faced Weymouth Cougars, reformed into the league after an 18-month break.

Both sides came out strongly with rivalry renewed.

Dan Williamson had the best chance of the game, his chipped effort went just over the Weymouth bar.

The game was abandoned at 0-0 following a head injury to a Cougars player, who collided with defender Scott Rice.

The Magpies faced another goalless draw against newly-promoted Dexter Sports.

Dexter had to clear their lines a number of times in the first half.

Jordan Pitman had found himself free following a direct ball from Kieran Pitman.

The striker had time to fire a shot, but the ball was parried by the goalkeeper, which then ricocheted against a defender making the ball roll inches wide of the post.

Dexter provided little threat throughout the game, and it looked like the Magpies were to have the final say in the last minute.

Winger Danny Kiy lashed the ball across the box, with Williamson inches away from tapping it in.


t: 01305 830990

e: sport

twitter: @Dorsetechosport