CONSTANT rain throughout the morning ceased just in time for Bridport to kick off against Wimborne III at 3pm on Saturday.

The Blues fielded a strong side with five players on the bench and Wimborne were no match for the Bridport’s backs, but the forwards were more evenly matched, despite Bridport managing two strikes against the head in the scrum.

The visitors won the toss and elected to play the first half with the strong wind on their backs.

From the first line out, Bridport won a clean ball and created a forward drive. A quick tap penalty resulted in a fine drive by Toby James who crossed the line for the first try of the match, the conversion was narrowly missed by Mitch Waters, however.

From the restart, Nathan Herbert managed to make touch within 15 meters of Wimborne’s try line.

n continued on page 36

Pressure at the line out earned the hosts a penalty which was taken quickly, allowing Harry Richardson to touchdown under the posts, Mitch did not miss the conversion this time.

For the following 20 minutes constant pressure for Bridport, including strong running from Tom Gamwell and Andrei Caplin, was not rewarded with tries thanks to tenacious tackling by the visitors.

During this period excitement waned due to many scrums but one produced a quick heel and the ball was ferociously driven by George Hussey who off loaded to a speedy Rich Lazell. The ball finally found Mitch who scored and converted his own try.

For the next ten minutes the visitors put up high balls to gain territory and line outs in Bridport’s half, but Harry Richardson was excellent all afternoon at winning their ball.

From one such line out Oscar Tompkins made a penetrating run of 50 meters, slipped the ball to Rob Sullivan and then to Mitch to score and convert yet again.

One final move just on half time resulted in another converted try, making 33-0 to the hosts at half time.

After the break some of the older stalwarts on the bench came on the field which resulted in faster flowing rugby as the strong wind dropped to a mere breeze.

Tries were awarded to Rory Greening, Dan Butler, Harrison Crane, Oscar Tompkins, James Tuck and Nathan Herbert.

This fine win was a result of good teamwork from the powerhouses in the forwards and the fitter and skilled backs.

Man of the Match was awarded to the prolific points scorer Mitch Waters.

Although Wimborne were unable to cross Bridport’s line, they played with spirit and could leave with their heads held high.