DORSET & W U20 14
RAF U20 32

DORSET & Wilts under-20s went down to a 32-14 defeat at the hands of the RAF under-23s.

The under-20s were looking to bounce back from their agonising defeat against Royal Navy under-23s in September and the game started well for the Twin Counties with the under-20s dominating possession of the ball and trying to stretch the RAF defence. 

Forwards Alma Volavola and Dorchester’s Cameron Wills were carrying the ball hard, however from all the pressure asserted it was the visitors that hit first. 

Centre Alex Peel looked to kick the ball clear but the RAF defence read it well and blitzed the kick managing to charge down and collect to score a converted try against the run of the play.

RAF doubled their lead shortly after when the forwards rumbled over.

Fly-half Oli Johnson had the opportunity to hit straight back from a penalty kick but missed as the visitors led 14-0 with 20 minutes gone. 

With their tails up, the RAF added a third try within 30 minutes as the visiting scrum-half spotted a gap in the defence and dummied the pass before scoring under the posts for 21-0.

The hosts were encouraged after a lovely break from winger Jed Gravell landed them in the RAF 22. 

The attack was fast and with intent and the visitors began to miss tackles and infringing resulting in penalties. 

Eventually a high tackle on full-back Matt Strong was deemed a penalty try.

In the second half the hosts hit the RAF with pace and power. Wimborne’s Jordon Warren carried the ball strongly and accompanied by number eight Alex Murchinson made huge ground. 

Eventually the pressure paid off when Wills crashed over from short distance, Peel adding the extras for 21-14.

The game was now truly opened up as Dorset and Wilts were throwing everything at the visitors trying to get two more scores.

But the RAF held their structure in defence and kept the onslaught from the Twin Counties away from the whitewash. 

The RAF managed to score two more tries from errors of their hosts who were out to score. 

Only one of the two tries was converted to round off the scoring.