Baggie 30, McQuoid 87


Da Silva 18

THE TERRAS never really found top gear until late on at the Bob Lucas Stadium when skipper Josh McQuoid finally broke Hungerford's admirable resistance with a cool finish to claim the points, extend the club's long Vanarama National League South unbeaten run to 11 games whilst climbing to second place in the standings.

If that was not enough to celebrate then the fans were in for another treat when news began to filter around the ground after the final whistle that chairman Ian white had secured a contract extension for manager Mark Molesley to remain at the helm until the end of the 2020-21 season.

So much to be happy about then for all those associated with Weymouth who again showed their ability to grind out a victory when not at their best.

Hungerford came to the south coast in 21st place but they ripped up the form book with a spirited first half performance that saw them take a shock lead through Jose Maturino Da Silva before the game's star performer Abdulai Baggie struck the hosts level on the half-hour.

Then, after a succession of near misses, and surviving a couple of scares to boot, Josh McQuoid finally found the winner with a composed finish three minutes from time. 

There were just two changes to the hosts’ starting XI from the side that edged past Hastings United in the FA Trophy last time out.

Josh Wakefield came in for Cameron Murray in midfield, having replaced him midway through the first half last Saturday.

And the other change saw Brett Williams come straight into the team following a suspension to make a rare start in preference to Yemi Odubade who dropped down to the bench.

Following a slow start the Terras first threatened to score nine minutes in when Baggie tried his luck with two opportunities.

His first effort cannoned off two defenders and, following up, his second attempt was deflected for the first of two back-to-back corners that saw Brennan Camp bring a good save from Josh Bradley-Hurst and then, from the second corner, the home centre-back headed just over at the near post.

Zidan Akers was causing Weymouth problems in the early exchanges and Shaun Hobson had to be at his most alert to nick the ball off the left winger as he bore down on goal as the Crusaders began to look dangerous.  

Indeed, just two minutes later the visitors had their noses in front when Ward, who was enduring a shaky first half, failed to meet a left-side centre from Akers and, as the ball held up in the wind, in nipped Da Silva to deftly head over the keeper into the net. 

The hosts began slowly to respond to this setback and, after Jake McCarthy had struck a rising 25-yarder well over, the first half’s star performer, Baggie, crossed perfectly for Williams.

Alas, the striker’s lethal touch deserted him as his six-yard header flew hopelessly wide with the goal at his mercy.

However, just three minutes later the Terras were level right on the half-hour with a goal seemingly out of nowhere.

Baggie jinked around the edge of the box looking for space to unleash a rocket from 18 yards that ripped into the net for his third goal in as many games.

Strangely, the game then went a little off the boil before Hobson conjured one further chance ahead of the break as he played in McQuoid whose shot was deflected wide for a corner.

Four minutes after the break there were a nervy couple of minutes for the hosts as Baggie lay on the turf after a collision with Matt Jones, but he was able to shake off the knock and from the resulting free-kick Jake McCarthy fired in a sighter that drifted well over the bar.

Baggie then appeared fully recovered just four minutes later as he embarked on a trademark run across the box that ended with the winger sliding in a shot that was blocked and cleared before Weymouth enjoyed a period of possession without ever threatening to hurt their opponents.

The Crusaders were still causing problems in the Weymouth defence and, when Hobson gave away possession from a poorly taken deep free-kick, Taofiq Olomowewe cleverly played in Akinwale Odimayo whose drive smashed straight at Ward and the loose ball fell to the former who could not find the target much to the home fans' relief.

This let-off appeared to jolt the home side as they went all out for a winner in the last 15 minutes.

After Ollie Harfield's free-kick had caused chaos in the visitors' box, the resulting corner saw Wakefield deliver a slide-rule pass straight off the training field to McCarthy who could not believe his luck when he thrashed in a low drive from the edge of the box that skipper Olomowewe somehow managed to block on the line for another corner.

Next, maintaining the pressure, McQuoid left Marcus Johnson-Schuster in his wake as he ran across the box only to see his final effort sail just over, Baggie had a penalty appeal turned down seconds before another great strike from McCarthy was met by an equally good save from Bradley-Hurst who turned the ball round the post at full stretch.

Weymouth could now sense a winner and it came just two minutes later when substitute Odubade and Calvin Brooks linked up menacingly down the right and the latter was bale to pull the ball back from the bye-line for McQuoid to take a touch before picking his spot through a crowded box.

That looked to be it but Hungerford produced one more golden chance to snatch a point as the game entered stoppage time when

Dan Bailey blasted goalwards from point-blank range but Ward showed his true worth with a fabulous tip over and from the resulting corner Hobson was able to block out a shot as the hosts held on to three more priceless points.

Terras: Ward, Harfield, Wakefield, Camp, Ngalo (Odubade 75), McCarthy, McQuoid (Wells 90), Baggie, Brooks, Williams, Hobson. Subs not used: Rees, Zubar, Suraci.

Hungerford Town: Bradley-Hurst, Johnson- Schuster, Tomlinson, Olomowewe, Rusby, Akers, Mi Jones (Smith 88), Ma Jones (Lynch 88), Odimayo, Da Silver, Bailey. Subs not used: Halliday, Dunstan, Klukowski.

Attendance: 862


t: 01305 830990

e: sport


twitter: @Dorsetechosport