Match report by David Graham



BetVictor Southern Premier South

DORCHESTER TOWN suffered defeat after two penalties and a red card.

The BetVictor Southern League's basement club was hit for two by Hartley Wintney.

Both sides struggled with the strong wind throughout, but Hartley started on the front foot and in the first minute some good work by Joe Grant created a chance for Adam Cornell. The striker saw his effort saved by Shane Murphy in the visitors goal.

The Magpies came close on 10 minutes when Sean Wright hit the post from a free kick on the left of the area after Tom Bath was hauled down.

A minute later a fine individual run by Mitch Parker ended with his parting shot going just wide. On 38 minutes a left wing corner from Ty Smith found the head of Shane Hollamby whose effort went wide.

The Row had a good spell approaching half time and went ahead on 45 minutes. A high ball into the Dorchester penalty area saw Joe Grant felled and a penalty awarded. Ty Smith converted the spot kick to make it 1-0 and that's how it stayed going into the break.

Dorchester started the second half strongly and on 48 minutes Magpies captain Franklyn Clarke had an effort cleared off the line in spectacular fashion by Tom Bird.

Despite this pressure, Hartley increased their lead with their first attack of the second half on 52 minutes. Bird surged into the penalty box and his intended pass deflected into the path of Grant who shot home from 15 yards to double Hartley's advantage.

On 58 minutes Aaron Kuhl linked up with Grant ,who gave a chance to Josh Webb but the midfielder's shot went over the crossbar.

The Magpies had a chance to reduce the lead on 62 minutes after Clarke was pulled down by Shane Hollamby in the penalty area, for which Hollamby received a straight red card.

Tom Bath saw his effort from the spot produce a good save from Luke Williams in the Row goal diving to his left. Jack Ball came on in central defence to offset the red card, replacing Aaron Kuhl.

On 64 minutes Clarke, who was at the heart of Magpies better moments, crossed from the left but Bath saw his header go wide.

Hartley almost increased their lead on 74 minutes when Josh Webb fired over following a free kick into the penalty area by Bird

The Magpies made a late surge against the ten Hartley men but were unable to create a clear cut chance. However on 84 minutes Tom Purrington fashioned an opportunity but only managed to find Hartley keeper Williams, well positioned to save.

Jamie Laird was pushed forward in the latter stages for Dorchester. The final move of the match saw Laird get behind the Row defence. As Williams came out Laird’s lob landed on top of the crossbar.

For Hartley a welcome three points without being at their best. For the Magpies a much improved second half performance which they will hope to take into their next fixture.

Hartley Wintney: Luke Williams, Nathan Smart, Tom Bird, Alex Albert, Shane Hollamby, Ty Smith, Joe Grant, Aaron Kuhl, Mitch Parker, Adam Cornell, Josh Webb.

Subs: Joe Cater (used0, Jack Ball (used), Tyrone Newton (used), Sal Abubakar, Sam Argent

Dorchester Town: Shane Murphy, Charlie Madden, Neil Martin, Nathan Walker, Jamie Laird, Franklyn Clarke, Sean Wright, Tom Purrington, Tom Bath, Emile Ngoy, Cameron Sangster.

Subs: Harry Gardner (used), Harry Warwick, Jack Torniainen (used), Tiago Sa, Nicholas Hutchings

Attendance: 237