FOR the second home game in succession Weymouth were to drop two Vanarama National League South points on an afternoon where they struggled to find any attacking rhythm against a resolute, but decidedly average, Billericay outfit who looked from the off that they had come for a point.

A fortnight ago the Terras could point to costly errors from officials as they drew with Eastbourne, but they only had themselves to blame this time in a game where neither side looked like finding the net.

Despite a promising opening spell the hosts failed to work visiting keeper Alan Julian enough in a below-par first half, and then, arguably, it was the Blues who probably could have won the contest if they had taken one of two great second-half chances that fell to Femi Akinwande and Jack Paxman – but on both occasions they found keeper Calum Ward alert to the danger as he made vital saves.

There was just one change to the Terras’ starting XI from the side that returned from Hampton & Richmond with all three points last weekend from a thrilling 3-2 comeback victory.

Skipper Josh McQuoid replaced Yemi Odubade who dropped to the bench where he was joined by the returning Andy Robinson after a lengthy lay-off from ankle surgery.

The home side were to dominate possession throughout the first half but they became continually frustrated in the final third by some dogged defending from the Blues.

Jake McCarthy had the game’s first sight of goal but he saw his seventh-minute shot parried and Abdulai Baggie had his blushes spared as he fired the rebound wide whilst flagged offside.

The Terras looked threatening again three minutes later as Calvin Brooks exchanged passes with Baggie down the right before his low centre was met by a weak shot from Ben Thomson straight at the keeper.

Similarly, the next action saw Baggie combine with McQuoid but when the former homed in on goal he got his feet tied up six yards out and the chance was gone.

Moments later McQuoid was tripped to win a free-kick 25-yards out only for McCarthy to side-foot tepidly onto the wall.

At the other end the visitors showed a little attacking intent when Dejon Noel-Williams shrugged off Stephane Zubar before shooting over on the turn.

On 25 minutes the killer final ball was still lacking for the Terras as Baggie completely over-hit a cross after a promising, neat passing move.

Then, the impressive Harry Hudson blocked out Baggie after a slick through ball from Tom Whelan had sent him through.

On the half-hour McCarthy was lining up his second free-kick just 20 yards from goal after Michael Chambers had earned a caution having upended Williams.

Alas, the outcome was much the same with the talented midfielder again firing meekly into the wall while the loose ball was met by an equally uninspiring volley from Calvin Brooks that flew over.

There was more frustration at the end of the half as McCarthy saw a 30-yarder sail well over the bar before a series of four corners brought little more reward although the hosts did rain in three quick-fire attempts from the second of those set-pieces as McCarthy and McQuoid both saw shots well blocked before Williams ended the goalmouth scramble by shooting over.

The home fans would have been hoping for far better fare over their half-time refreshments but, come the second half, it all seemed very much the same except Ricay, with some added belief, began to make some inroads into the Weymouth half.

Alas, they still looked very content with claiming a point as Akinwande showed as he ended a purposeful run by heading towards the corner flag nine minutes into a start-stop period of second-half play.

On the hour-mark, the Blues, having won their first corner of the game, looked to take advantage of a lacklustre start from the Terras from three more corners moments later.

From the second of those corners, Paxman picked out Akinwande at the back post but the big striker found Ward alert at his near post to block out his effort on the spin with his feet.

Then, at the other end, great work between Baggie and Thomson saw a promising attack ended when the latter’s low centre was intercepted.

Indeed, Ricay proceeded to get men back to cut out a series of low crosses during the middle part of the second period as Weymouth still struggled to find any attacking purpose.

With 20 minutes remaining the Blues threatened again on the counter as Alfie Potter thrashed an effort just over from a tight angle before the hosts finally created a big chance in the 77th minute.

Williams hammered in a shot that was expertly blocked out by keeper Julian straight to Odubade lurking on the edge of the box.

Sadly, the substitute who had only just replaced McQuoid moments earlier, had very little time to set himself and he hurriedly shanked the ball horribly wide to the home fans’ dismay.

With 10 minutes left the Blues were presented with another decent chance of their own to nick all the points when Whelan was dispossessed by Paxman but the latter could only fire straight at Ward and it was another huge let-off for the hosts.

In the 86th minute Odubade forced a flying Julian into pushing the ball away but, in truth, Weymouth never really looked like laying siege on the visiting goal in the hunt for a winner as they produced precious few meaningful attempts, even through a bitterly disappointing six minutes of added time as they had to settle for a second successive home draw.

Terras: Ward, Harfield, Zubar, Whelan, McCarthy, Thomson, McQuoid (Odubade 73), Baggie, Brooks (Olumuyiwa 87), Williams (Wakefield 83), Hobson. Subs not used: Childs, Robinson.

Billericay: Julian, Chambers, Hudson, Henry, Potter, Noel-Williams, (Robinson 78), Loft (Kefalas 37), Paxman, Akinwande, Cole (Gillela 56), Cook. Subs not used: Jackson, Galach.

Attendance: 983

Referee: Scott Tallis


t: 01305 830955

e: sport


twitter: @Dorsetechosport