ABBOTSBURY 102 lost to POOLE TOWN B 103-4 by six wickets

ABBOTSBURY finished their season with a disappointing batting performance as Poole Town B booked a place in the T20 Trophy final with a six-wicket win.

In glorious autumnal sunshine at Poole Park, Simon Pengelly (7) and Nick Kneebone (0) opened the batting for Abbotsbury but neither lasted long at the crease with Flynn Roachford (1-20) first bowling Pengelly and then Kneebone tamely offering a return catch to Matty Williams (1-23).

A slow outfield and big boundaries contributed to the difficulty in scoring runs but the Swans were unable to capitalize on some dropped catches by the Poole fielders as further chances were taken, Kynan Brian (3) and Tom Marsh (2) both departing caught for single figure scores.

Chas Duerdoth (38) played some typically aggressive shots but wickets continued to fall around him as Lloyd Beals (2) was bowled around his legs and David Worsdell (5) was caught as the Swans threatened to post a paltry score.

However, the Poole bowlers contributed 20 extras and Pankaj Nikale produced an excellent cameo by adding a rapid 16 runs which included the only six of the Abbotsbury innings.

Simon Pittman added a useful nine runs but Elliot Gunn (0) was run out with a direct hit in the final over to see the Abbotsbury innings draw to a close on 102.

In reply, the Poole batsmen had similar difficulties in scoring runs but kept their wickets intact despite disciplined bowling from Beals (0-9) and Pengelly (0-9).

It took the introduction of spinner Nikale (3-23) to provide the first breakthrough by bowling Ben Pocknell (9) which was soon followed with the wicket of the incoming Jordan Bishop (7), wicketkeeper Worsdell taking a steepling catch.

Worsdell then claimed the run out of Matthew Hobbs (5) albeit in somewhat fortuitous fashion as he fumbled an incoming throw that saw the ball ricochet off his foot and into the stumps.

With the run rate required rising to above six an over Abbotsbury were well in the game but despite the removal of opener Daniel Winwood, who scored a patient but vital 42, further wickets proved elusive and Poole started to find some gaps in the field to settle the home side nerves.

Gunn (0-22) bowled tidily but spilled a chance of a catch off his own bowling and Duerdoth unusually proved the most expensive of the Swans’ attack, his four overs going for 32 runs.

Beals returned to bowl the final over with the scores level but after two dot balls the third was dispatched to see Poole claim victory and a berth in tomorrow’s final against Corfe Mullen.