Randell 81

WEYMOUTH slipped to a second successive defeat as Sutton United took a late but deserved 1-0 victory in their Vanarama National League clash at the Bob Lucas Stadium.

Brian Stock’s men are yet to score in three games and did not have a shot on target in this match as the harsh nature of non-League’s top flight became evident.

Will Randell finally broke the brilliant resistance of home keeper Jack Bycroft in the 81st minute, tucking home from 20 yards.

Up to then Bycroft was undoubtedly the man of the match, making a string of saves to keep Sutton at bay until the Us registered a third successive win.

Weymouth made four changes from their midweek 1-0 loss to Woking as Jordan Ngalo, Jake McCarthy, Ben Thomson and Josh McQuoid all missed out.

In came Josh Wakefield, who captained the side, Alefe Santos, Andreas Robinson and Cameron Murray.

McCarthy dropped to the bench, where he was joined by the fit-again Myles Anderson. Bournemouth loanee Corey Jordan was too unwell to make the squad.

Weymouth were unable to call upon McQuoid and Thomson as the Terras chased their first goal of the National League season.

Instead, despite a bright start, Weymouth were subjected to a barrage of Sutton attacks as the half wore on.

Lead striker Cody Cooke helped work a good opening with a low cross but his delivery was just out of reach of the supporting Tom Whelan and Murray.

Energetic winger Murray was then marshalled well on the byline by Kenny Davis in the 11th minute as Sutton weathered the Weymouth purple patch.

Thereafter it was the Bycroft show, as Weymouth’s loanee keeper pulled off a string of stunning saves to keep his side level.

Chief among them was a point-blank stop to deny a goalbound Harry Beautyman header as Weymouth’s weakness at set-plays began to be prayed upon.

Beautyman was thwarted by a Calvin Brooks tackle soon afterwards, before the tough-tackling tactics of Sutton were rewarded with a yellow for Isaac Olaofe’s foul on Brennan Camp.

Bycroft’s agility shone when the keeper flew high to tip over a rising Davis drive and Bycroft then reacted rapidly to push clear a Tobi Sho-Silva header.

David Ajiboye stormed forward and shot fiercely at goal to force Bycroft into a sharp low save from the resulting corner as Sutton did everything but score in the opening half.

Sutton continued in the same vein upon the resumption as Randell’s looping header produced a fantastic push round the corner from Bycroft.

Bycroft was called upon for arguably his best save of the game in the 58th minute, flinging a leg out to deny Beautyman from six yards when it seemed easier to concede.

Weymouth improved after Bycroft’s heroics and Josh Leslie-Smith lashed against the side-netting from an impossible angle close to the byline.

Brooks’ searching cross forced Jon Barden to nod behind and from the resulting corner Weymouth saw strong penalty appeals waved away as Camp was hauled down.

Just as Weymouth were looking threatening, Sutton made a killer breakthrough.

Bycroft did well to parry clear a cross but no defender swept up, allowing Randell to curl home from 20 yards despite a crowd of defenders in the six-yard box.

Sub Jack Hoey went close during the six added minutes when former Liverpool youth keeper Dean Bouzanis dropped a long ball, but the forward hooked high over the bar.

Play strayed into a ninth minute of added time but Sutton’s good work in defence and ability to hold the ball up in the opposing corner flags enabled them to professionally see the game out.

Terras: Bycroft, Camp, Wakefield, Santos (Hoey 71), Leslie-Smith, Robinson, Brooks, Cooke, Murray, Whelan (McCarthy 76), Harfield. Subs not used: Benfield, Anderson, Burns.

Sutton: Bouzanis, Barden, Wyatt, Ajiboye, Davis, Beautyman, Randell, Rowe, Eastmond, Sho-Silva (Dundas 84), Olaofe (Kealy 75). Subs not used: Goodliffe, Milson, Simpson.