Ngoy 86


DORCHESTER Town shocked leaders Tiverton Town with a late goal from substitute Emile Ngoy which ended the Devon side's 100 per cent league record and earned the Magpies their first win of the season.

Before the match, the Magpies announced the signing of former Bristol Rovers, Yate and Frome striker Laurent Davis-Wilson but there was no place in the starting line-up for the new acquisition who remained an unused substitute alongside Sam Bayston and Joel Kiwobo.

Following the midweek departures of former skipper Franklyn Clarke and Sam Poole to Portland United, Dorchester boss Leigh Robinson was forced to make changes.

Ashley Wells was announced as the captain assisted by Tom Blair both of whom turned in impressive performances.

Tiago Sa, Billy Lowes and Josiah Dunstan were recalled to the starting line-up. Leighton Thomas was named on the bench.

It was entertaining end-to-end play for much of the match with Tiverton starting on the front foot.

Jordan Bastin played a second minute one-two with Daniel Hayfield before firing wide from 30 yards.

Blair then dispossessed former Magpie Neil Martin to centre to Rubin Wilson whose unusual back flick attempt flew wide.

A corner from Hayfield was cleared by former Yellows' forward Tom Bath as Tiverton swarmed back into attack.

Alex Fletcher rolled an 18-yard shot wide while Tivvy keeper Lewis Williams unconvincingly dealt with a cross from Oakley Hanger.

Opposite number Will Buse was well placed to gather a header from Andrew Watkins who met a centre from Martin before Hayfield and Bastin had efforts deflect wide.

Tiverton piled on the pressure but found the Dorchester defence, ably marshalled by Wells, in fine form and assisted when needed by Bath who headed over his own crossbar to keep out a Hayfield centre.

Buse saved to deny Martin before Fletcher hit the side-netting following a drag back by former Weymouth midfielder Chris Shepherd.

A superb crossfield ball from Martin aimed at Fletcher was well read by Wells but Buse was fortunate when his tardy clearance bounced to safety off Fletcher.

The Magpies had half-hearted appeals for a penalty turned down by referee Stuart Kane when Wilson tumbled under pressure before a well rehearsed free-kick saw ex-Magpie Kyle Egan play a short ball to Shepherd who crossed low along the 18-yard line to Hayfield whose shot was saved on his line by Buse.

The alert Wells prevented Bastin from shooting when he looked odds on to score then Buse clawed aside an attempt from Morison.

Having weathered a spell of Tivvy attacking, Dorchester broke out and Blair found Hanger whose cross proved too close to Williams.

Blair surged across the pitch before opting to shoot but high over the crossbar and a free-kick from the winger then found Dunstan at the far post but he glanced wide.

Tivvy thought they had taken the lead on 33 minutes but the offside flag was clearly raised when Fletcher netted from Bastin’s cross.

Martin tested Buse from 30 yards before Blair won possession from Morison and found Bath on the left wing only to curl his low shot wide of the far post.

Blair then charged down the right flank and cut inside, firing weakly at Williams.

The Tiverton bench rose to their feet when Wells and Fletcher collided enabling the ball to run through to Buse but the referee spotted no infringement.

Dorchester enjoyed more of the attacking play after the break.

An early long ball from Buse was shepherded back to his keeper by ex-Dorchester defender Michael Peck.

Billy Lowes' pass found Blair in space and his strike was parried clear by Willliams who then cut out a cross from Hanger.

A free kick awarded for a trip on Blair was drilled just over by Charlie Madden, while a foul on the industrious Wells earned Morison the only caution of the match.

Wilson was unable to take advantage of a low cross from Blair who then sent another inviting cross fizzing along the six-yard line but again no Magpie could capatilise.

At the other end a Hayfield shot deflected for a corner which was pumped through a crowded six-yard box and out of play. Substitute Jared Lewington then headed straight at Buse.

Back came Dorchester with Blair exchanging passes with Harry Hodges before shooting over from 25 yards.

Bastin sent a Tiverton free-kick over the crossbar before Dorchester substitute Ngoy nodded down in the six-yard box but Williams dived bravely at Wilson’s feet to smother the danger. 

Hayfield and Fletcher had shots blocked for Tivvy while a poor backpass sent Williams scurrying back to gather the ball under pressure from Dorchester substitute Leighton Thomas.

But the breakthrough came four minutes from time when Ngoy was afforded time and space to drill a low shot on the turn past Williams into the far corner.

Dorchester survived five minutes of added time - only after Tiverton had rattled the woodwork.

Ngoy nearly added a second goal chasing a Hanger clearance then firing over while Tiverton substitute Cheick Diabate headed a last-ditch cross from Tiverton skipper Craig Woodman against the outside of the post.

Magpies: Buse, Hanger, Sa, Dunstan, Wells, Madden, Hodges, Lowes, Bath (Ngoy 66), Wilson (Thomas 77), Blair. Subs not used: Davis-Wilson, Bayston, Kiwobo.

Tiverton: Williams, Egan, Woodman, Morison, Peck, Martin (Diabate 78), Shepherd (Lewington 60), Hatfield, Bastin, Fletcher, Watkins (Lam 60). Subs not used: Craske, Rogers.

Referee: Stuart Kane

Attendance: 362