WEYMOUTH manager Brian Stock confessed to being “absolutely gutted” and said some players “went hiding” during the Terras’ 3-0 derby defeat to enemies Yeovil Town.

Darren Sarll’s Yeovil were far quicker into their stride and went 2-0 up inside 19 minutes when Josh Neufville and Albi Skendi beat debutant keeper Ethan Ross with clinical low 25-yard strikes.

Weymouth gained more possession in the second half but did not force away custodian Adam Smith into a save.

Joe Quigley’s 88th-minute penalty and Jake McCarthy’s red card capped a horrible evening for the hosts, who sustained an 11th Vanarama National League loss of the season.

Speaking post-match, Stock berated his side for a slow start.

“The way we started the game summed the whole day up,” he said.

“Yeovil came out of the blocks, almost treated it like a local derby and almost looked like they were up for the fight straight away.

“One of the things I learnt from a young age was that you need to win your battles first, roll your sleeves up and don’t let the other player get the better of you.

“I felt it took 60 minutes before we actually started to realise that and get a grip of the game.

“A few words were said at half-time and I got a reaction. We dominated the game second half, with the ball, but didn’t hurt them.

“Disappointed, absolutely gutted. They’re a big, physical, strong side and it showed, especially in the first half.”

Stock claimed some players simply did not turn up.

“Quite a few players went hiding, especially to start with,” he said.

“If we don’t have everybody wanting to play, you have half a team doing something and when you come up against a team so direct they didn’t have to work for their goals.

“They were good finishes, I suppose, but it’s poor from our part.

“It’s not like they’ve had to work the ball across our back four or put in a fantastic ball.

“It’s very effective from their point of view and we gave ourselves a mountain to climb.”

Stock, who is notoriously fair with officials, also voiced his displeasure with the officiating.

“I think the referee got so much wrong for both sides,” he said.

“Some of the decisions I was baffled by, for and against.

“I just thought it was so inconsistent throughout the whole of the game, the linesman giving decisions from 75 yards away, I was baffled.

“I actually saved my breath because it was a waste of time trying to get through to the referee.

“You’ve got a fourth official agreeing with all his decisions and I’m thinking ‘I’m fighting a losing battle here’.

“Both sets of players were baffled with some of the decisions, even the sending off for Jake.

“That’s a very harsh decision. We’ll look back on it (before appealing). I think it will only be a one-game (ban).

“There were a couple of appeals for a penalty for us. 

“I just felt even the little free-kicks and things like that, I think he got them wrong, quite a lot, for both teams.”