Murphy 3, 53, 82


Mensah 23

RHYS Murphy bagged a clinical hat-trick as Yeovil Town did the double over rivals Weymouth courtesy of a 3-1 derby win at Huish Park.

Weymouth were much improved from the 3-0 horror show in January but gave themselves early work to do when goalkeeper Ethan Ross dropped a cross at the feet of Murphy in the third minute.

Jacob Mensah equalised midway through the half with Weymouth’s first shot at goal and the Terras dominated with a blustery wind at their backs.

However, they could not add to their tally as Yeovil utilised the conditions far more effectively after the break.

Murphy was well placed to pounce on a tremendous Ross save for 2-1 before running clear late on to seal his treble.

Albi Skendi also hit the post in the dying stages as Yeovil nearly applied a deceptive look to the scoreline.

With the Terras’ defence so secure in recent weeks, Weymouth boss Brian Stock was disadvantaged from the start without Ollie Harfield - a stand-out performer in Saturday's 0-0 draw with Solihull Moors.

However, Jordan Ngalo returned from suspension and Josh Leslie-Smith made his comeback from a long spell out with concussion.

Joan Luque was the other man to miss out, dropping down to the bench.

There was still no place in the squad for skipper Josh McQuoid, who remains out with a hamstring injury, and keeper Gerard Benfield was again absent from the squad following disciplinary issues.

That left the Terras without a substitute keeper and Benfield may have had a wry smile on his face as Yeovil took the lead in the third minute.

What seemed a regulation claim for Weymouth custodian Ross turned into a nightmare as a cross held up in the wind.

Yeovil striker Reuben Reid put Ross under pressure, forcing a drop, and Murphy collected possession before spinning to lash a shot high into the net for 1-0 despite Weymouth protests for a foul.

That error propelled Yeovil into command of the game early on and Ross had to be alert to push clear from Reid after his 12-yard shot.

Weymouth were hemmed in as Skendi fired wide from distance before Murphy skimmed a header just over the bar from a sumptuous Alex Bradley corner.

Ross, whose kicking was wayward all half, atoned for his early mistake when Skendi held off the Weymouth defence and fired low at the Lincoln loanee.

His save would pay dividends as Weymouth went on to score with their first shot.

Andy Dallas won a foul as Billy Sass-Davies charged into his back and Sean Shields’ perfect free-kick picked out Mensah to nudge home his first Weymouth goal in the 23rd minute.

Dorset Echo: Jacob Mensah, centre right, levelled for Weymouth Picture: MARK PROBINJacob Mensah, centre right, levelled for Weymouth Picture: MARK PROBIN

Suddenly, Weymouth were on top as Ngalo’s turn and shot from 20 yards out was tipped clear by a flying Adam Smith.

The pressure continued as Dallas later won a corner which caused mayhem in the Yeovil defence, Calvin Brooks eventually getting a shot off before play stopped for a foul.

Smith had to throw himself to his left to keep out Camp from another Weymouth set-piece, the Bournemouth loanee punting at goal following more chaos in the home area.

Yeovil regained a footing in the game late in the half but wasted a corner as Ross claimed easily ahead of the break.

Their momentum continued into the second half as Murphy doubled his and the Glovers’ tally.

Carl Dickinson flung in a deep cross to the back post where Reid was unlucky to see his stooping header saved magnificently by Ross, but Murphy reacted quickest to touch home via Mensah.

Stock then brought on Ben Thomson for Ngalo and the Terras responded as Shields’ deflected effort just evaded the substitute.

Murphy, who dropped deep throughout, was denied a third by a stunning Ross save, leaping to his left to tip clear.

Meanwhile, Thomson was causing Yeovil all sorts of problems with his runs into the channel and after cutting inside he was denied by Adam Smith.

After Pierre Fonkeu was introduced for Camp, Thomson raided forward yet again but his low cross skidded behind Dallas before McCarthy curled at Smith from 25 yards.

Weymouth hurtled forward in search of a leveller and Shields nearly provided it when he shaped to shoot for the far corner before firing just wide of the near post with Smith beaten.

But the killer blow was landed on the counter as Murphy scampered clear, controlled and lashed home off the far post past Ross to seal a predatory hat-trick in the 82nd minute.

Yeovil nearly added gloss to the scoreline when Skendi’s speculative shot took a huge deflection, but Weymouth were relieved to see the ball rebound out off the post.

As Weymouth searched for a consolation, another Shields corner caused chaos in the home box but Leslie-Smith’s effort cannoned off his own teammate and out for a goal-kick to sum up a miserable night for the Terras.

Yeovil Town: A Smith, Bradley, Hunt, Sass-Davies, Dickinson, J Smith, Worthington, Neufville (Knowles 79), Skendi, Murphy (Quigley 85), Reid (Dagnall 68). Subs not used: Kelly, Lee.

Terras: Ross, Camp (Fonkeu 73), Ngalo (Thomson 58), McCarthy, Leslie-Smith, Robinson, Brooks (Cooke 90+2), Dallas, Mensah, Revan, Shields. Subs not used: Luque, Murray.