Dallas 4


WEYMOUTH earned a famous double over non-League giants Stockport County with a determined 1-0 win at the Bob Lucas Stadium.

Andy Dallas put the Terras into a fourth-minute lead and Weymouth never looked back, only looking in danger when Ethan Ross miraculously tipped James Jennings’ shot onto the post.

Weymouth were forced to make two goal-line clearances but Stockport, who enjoyed a large share of possession, could not find an equaliser as their Vanarama National League title hopes were dented.

Cutting an ecstatic figure at full-time, Weymouth boss Brian Stock made one change to the side that began the 2-2 draw with King's Lynn last weekend.

Ben Thomson was the unfortunate man to miss out as skipper McQuoid returned from a hamstring injury.

There was no place in the matchday squad for Josh Leslie-Smith or Cody Cooke but goalkeeper Gerard Benfield took his spot in the dugout after disciplinary issues.

Stockport were also without the injured John Rooney – brother of Derby boss and Manchester United hero Wayne – but top scorer Alex Reid started.

In a game that began at breakneck speed, Stockport won a corner but Jacob Mensah’s clearance released Dallas who could not profit on the counter.

But it would take just over three minutes for Weymouth to score as McQuoid touched the ball in front of his marker and galloped down the left.

McQuoid cut inside and his blocked shot fell perfectly for Dallas to slot firmly into the top-right corner from 12 yards.

Stockport replied when Reid flicked a header wide before Sam Dalby’s nodded effort was alertly cleared off the line by a retreating Dom Revan.

County were by now exerting their flowing passing game on the Terras and Reid tested home keeper Ethan Ross with a sharp volley, forcing a smart tip over.

While the visitors looked impressive going forward, Weymouth preyed on panic at the back as Calvin Brooks and McQuoid were both halted by desperate sliding tackles.

Revan then went into the book for a late tackle on Dalby before Mensah headed an Ollie Harfield free-kick wide.

Tight pressing from Brooks then forced County skipper Liam Hogan into a half-clearance from which Jake McCarthy chested the ball into space and volleyed wide from 35 yards.

Stockport still carried a threat in possession but away keeper Ben Hinchcliffe was lucky to fall on a dropped cross just before half-time.

Eager to get back on level terms quickly, County boss Simon Rusk made an attacking change as Harry Cardwell replaced Dalby.

And another quick start from the away side ensued as Mensah felled Reid deep in the home half, only for McCarthy to head clear.

From the rebound, McQuoid surged upfield but his pass to Dallas was too strong and the counter broke down.

Cardwell was then booked for a 50/50 lunge on Ross and after a stoppage for treatment Weymouth flew up the other end with Shields whose deflected shot strayed wide.

Ten minutes into the half, Stockport were denied by an unbelievable save from Ross.

Tom Walker’s corner found Palmer and his header picked out James Jennings three yards out.

It looked for all the world a goal until Ross somehow scrambled across to block his effort, clawing clear via the post.

Rusk replied by hooking Walker for Jordan Keane but it was Weymouth who next threatened as Shields forced a smart stop from Hinchcliffe.

An increasingly open half saw Stockport denied on the line again when Cardwell’s flick was backheeled to safety by a composed Harfield.

Dallas was able to win a flick-on and McCarthy ran onto it, forcing a late block from the covering defence.

But Stockport began to turn the screw when Sam Minihan’s shot was intercepted only as far as Reid, with Ross touching behind a yard out.

Thomson replaced Brooks in Weymouth’s first change as Stock looked to heighten the hosts’ counter-attacking threat, the latest coming when Dallas fired well over from a two-on-one break.

Harfield sent a free-kick just out of McCarthy’s reach late on, and the midfielder was booked for a clear foul on Jennings, who then slammed his free-kick against the wall.

The end-to-end action continued with Ross punching away a 90th-minute corner but a rattled Stockport could not find a way past a resolute Weymouth defence as the Terras recorded a precious double over their opponents.

Terras: Ross, Camp, McCarthy, McQuoid (Luque 83), Robinson, Brooks (Thomson 72), Dallas, Mensah, Revan, Harfield, Shields. Subs not used: Ngalo, Benfield, Fonkeu.

Stockport: Hinchcliffe, Minihan, Jennings, Hogan, Palmer (Bennett 77), Croasdale, Reid, Dalby (Cardwell 46), Collar, Walker (Keane 57), Newby. Subs not used: Maynard, Barnes.

Referee: Daniel Lamport