Vassell 65, Ponticelli 78


TWO second half goals cost Weymouth as Wrexham won 2-0 at the Racecourse to secure a second win over the Terras in the Vanarama National League this season.

An even, goalless, first half saw Josh McQuoid waste a good headed chance and Wrexham’s Jordan Davies fire at Ethan Ross.

But the latter 45 minutes, and the three points, belonged to Wrexham as Theo Vassell and Jordan Ponticelli netted to put a stubborn Weymouth to bed.

Terras' manager Brian Stock could have no complaints having made two enforced changes to the starting XI that began the 1-0 win over Stockport County on Saturday.

Calvin Brooks (ankle) was rested while Sean Shields, doubtful in midweek, also missed out on the squad.

Their absences handed chances to attacking midfielders Joan Luque and Pierre Fonkeu in what appeared to be a fluid 4-5-1 formation.

Wrexham made just one switch to the team that beat Barnet 2-0 in midweek.

Dragons defender Reece Hall-Johnson came in for Tyler French, who dropped to the bench.

Competing in a brisk wind at the Racecourse, Weymouth made an equally rapid start as Andy Dallas hooked a volley at Christian Dibble after nine seconds of play.

Following Dallas’ lead, skipper McQuoid drifted out to the right and clipped in a cross for Fonkeu whose flicked effort was cleared at the back post.

Wrexham settled 10 minutes in with playmaker Davies heavily involved in creating their first glimpse of goal.

Spinning away from a tackle, he drew a foul and Luke Young’s free-kick split the Terras’ defence causing Jake McCarthy to make an outstanding clearance over the bar – with the lurking Vassell later flagged offside.

With chances at a premium, Dallas won a fruitless corner for the visitors before Wrexham midfielder Elliott Durrell slashed wide from 25 yards.

Davies was causing trouble and collected another free-kick when Andy Robinson piled into him, Young then working goalkeeper Ross at the near post.

After weathering Wrexham’s spell of pressure, McCarthy cantered forward for Weymouth but his neat ball to Fonkeu positioned the Cameroon winger too close to the byline and his cross was claimed by Dibble.

Brennan Camp was in the wars for Weymouth, earning two fouls, before Wrexham caused havoc at a corner.

Weymouth allowed the ball to drop in the box and Davies hammered at Ross who stood firm at the near post.

Wrexham’s best chance of the half was followed by Weymouth’s as Harfield’s inch-perfect cross was somehow headed at Dibble by the unmarked McQuoid, leading to a blank opening 45 minutes.

Sensing an opportunity to up their level, Wrexham added intensity to their game in a frantic restart as Jamie Reckord curled weakly at Ross after a mix-up between Fonkeu and Camp.

Fonkeu showed pace to create space in midfield seconds later but his one-two with Dallas broke down.

Stock turned to his bench as Cameron Murray replaced Luque, but Wrexham began to turn the screw as a lovely ball into channel from Davies picked out Dior Angus to crash a shot against the bar.

Dragons’ boss Dean Keates made a triple change moments later as Ponticelli, Dan Jarvis and Jay Harris all came on for Davies, Angus and Durrell.

Wrexham were deservedly ahead in a matter of seconds, as Vassell lost marker Jacob Mensah and headed Reckord’s corner home for his third goal against Weymouth this season.

Weymouth went close to an equaliser inside 60 seconds as McQuoid’s looping header crept just wide of the far post.

Thereafter, though, it was all Wrexham as Kwame Thomas headed another Reckord corner against the post from a tight angle.

Stock introduced Ben Thomson for Fonkeu in search of more attacking impetus but instead Wrexham grabbed a second.

Reckord’s cross in found Jarvis and his wayward shot fortuitously fell to Ponticelli to stab home six yards out with 12 minutes remaining.

Wrexham fancied a third as gaps began to open up in the away defence, and to compound a difficult afternoon for Weymouth their cries for a late penalty were forcefully denied as Thomson was booked for simulation.

Ahead of Tuesday’s trip to Dagenham, Weymouth remain in 20th position after King’s Lynn lost 1-0 at leaders Sutton.

Wrexham: Dibble, Hall-Johnson, Carrington, Vassell, Kelleher, Reckord, Davies (Harris 65), Young, Durrell (Jarvis 64), Angus (Ponticelli 64), Thomas. Subs not used: Lainton, French.

Terras: Ross, Camp, McCarthy, McQuoid (Wakefield 87), Robinson, Dallas, Mensah, Revan, Harfield, Luque (Murray 60), Fonkeu (Thomson 73). Subs not used: Benfield, Leslie-Smith.