WEYMOUTH boss Brian Stock was at pains to emphasise Weymouth’s recent improvements despite a 2-0 loss at promotion-chasing Wrexham.

After drawing a blank in a nicely poised first half that witnessed the Terras’ Josh McQuoid head the best chance at Christian Dibble, Wrexham took charge.

The Red Dragons opened the scoring after Theo Vassell netted his third goal of the season against Weymouth – seconds after the hosts had made a triple change.

McQuoid guided a header inches wide immediately afterwards, opening the door for Wrexham to add a second when sub Jordan Ponticelli prodded home, sending the hosts into fourth spot.

While the 20th-placed Terras failed to add to their two away Vanarama National League wins, Stock revealed his squad was “disappointed” not to claim a draw.

He told Echosport: “At 0-0, the first 45 minutes was quite comfortable.

“The way that we set up with certain responsibilities for wide positions was to try and be aggressive, press their back three.

“You’re coming away to a team who are high-flying, with aspirations, budget, structure – everything to go up into League Two.

“And at full-time we’re really disappointed that we’ve got nothing to take home.

“Second half we lacked that energy, intensity, to go and win the game.

“It’s the first time we’ve conceded from a set-piece for a long time, so I can’t fault the lads’ effort and desire.

“But the second was disappointing given we’ve worked on certain scenarios throughout the week.”

Asked if the outcome was fair, Stock replied: “I wouldn’t argue that we deserved to win.

“It might have been one of those that we could’ve worked hard to get something to take back onto the bus.

“They’re a very direct side, they pump the ball long, they’re very aggressive with their second balls.

“In fairness to them, making three subs all on 64 minutes, was a gamble that paid off for them.”

Stock did rue McQuoid’s headed miss in the first half, however.

“Goals change games, there’s no doubt about that,” he said.

“I felt at 1-0 we had a very good reaction in the next 60 seconds. We nearly equalised. From then on we didn’t affect the game nearly as much as I would’ve liked.

“At 0-0 that chance, if it goes in, the game’s a different story.”

Elsewhere, Weymouth's home match with Boreham Wood on Tuesday, March 23 has been postponed due to international call-ups in the Wood's squad.